cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Oh oh. This is what you said about McCain just before he started his current roll.
I was remembering that as I was typing.

Obama's finally requested help from 527s. This may get real ugly real fast.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Here's what I don't get. Why does Obama suddenly seem paralyzed by the fact that he's running against a woman? Wasn't he running against a woman all year?
What are you, YO's set up man (woman)?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What are you, YO's set up man (woman)?
If you want me to mock Hillary and say that she's not a woman, I will not stoop that low. mbn, we have come too far for that kind of sexism. We have worked too hard to see woman mocked for their looks and feared for their competency. We'll leave that garbage for the democrats.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's amazing that Obama's team could have run a nearly flawless primary campaign and look so lost and confused in the general. They don't seem to have any strategy or offense at all. It's really weird. It's like watching a team go undefeated in the regular season and then blow it in the bowl game.
I have to agree. His campaign gets an F, at this point. They're getting hammered on the news cycles, literally a day late, on every point. The McCain campaign has to be laughing and giggling that the Pig "controversy" has any attention, AT ALL. At this point they're toying with Obama.

Pathetic.

The McCain campaign has been brilliant at is having a quick counter punch ready when Obama's campaign attempts to punch.

Obama needs to assert reverse-sexism and how it insults women, that Palin is not a victim, and women should be insulted at the false suggestion. He needs to smear those who're asserting the false victim status, the cynical reverse-sexism for political purposes (ie, the McCain campaign & surrogates).

Obama and the 527s need to take the gloves off & start to take pounds of flesh out of McCain's hide. If there aren't simplistic (and if need be deceptive) ads undermining McCain, and soon, this one could be over.

Get used to the term "President McCain", and if my hunch about McCain's health is (unfortunately) true, get used to the term "President Palin".

Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-10-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Ma'ake

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
We have worked too hard to see woman mocked for their looks and feared for their compentcy.
But evidently the pro-McCain side has no problem cynically asserting false attacks, and employing simplistic exploitation of her gender for political gain. It's as though McCain (and surrogates) are using Palin as both a weapon & a shield. How utterly cynical and essentially sexist.

You have to know the puppeteers are in the back room, plotting... "let's exploit this woman to win"

Disgusting, but very effective.

In terms of effectiveness, I give the McCain campaign an A+, so far.

Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-10-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are paying way too much attention to the national polls.
Yeah, seriously.
Next thing you know, you'll be reciting the number of attendees at a political speech or quoting how loud they were said to have been.

By the way, did you know that B. Hussein calling Palin "a pig" marks the first time in his adult life that CaliCoug has been really proud of his country? And as a rich elitist Muslim terrorist that hates white people that's really saying something.

You know, this mid-slinging thing of Obama's is kind of catchy! Let's all just go around insulting people to prove how WE TOO can reach across barriers!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Ma'ake

Quote:
Calm down. You are paying way too much attention to the national polls. McCain's numbers have gone up, but they were supposed to. Compared to the baseline of the polling numbers immediately before the Dem convention, Obama actually got a slightly higher bump from his convention than McCain did. It will level out.

Regardless, the electoral college is how this thing is won. As the map stands right now, it hugely favors Obama. Obama can lose both Ohio and Florida and still win the election. Don't panic. The spike in McCain's numbers are normal and expected.
Very true on the electoral map (and it would be deliciously ironic to see a reverse of the 2000 election.)

From a pure electioneering standpoint the game is going to McCain, and my fear is through the national tide they'll be able to swing some of the critical states. The track record so far in this campaign is not encouraging.

Here's a (crude) idea for a counter punch - clips of McCain and many other Republicans using the same pig metaphor, with the question who is really sexist? McCain should be ashamed. Show an animation of McCain using Palin as a spear. Shameful exploitation.

Then get the big crowds at Obama events to chant "McCain should be ashamed! McCain should be ashamed!" Hit the false accusation head on & put McCain on the defensive.

LOL - now you know why I'm not a political pro.

Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-10-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Obama and the 527s need to take the gloves off & start to take pounds of flesh out of McCain's hide. If there aren't simplistic (and if need be deceptive) ads undermining McCain, and soon, this one could be over.

Get used to the term "President McCain", and if my hunch about McCain's health is (unfortunately) true, get used to the term "President Palin".
Unfortunately, McCain is using the tactic I feared he would, arousing (the word arouse and McCain just don't belong together) suspicions about Barack's popularity while emphasizing his own honor, sacrifice, humility, etc. That tactic combined with the 527s has been highly effective.

Obama only just this week approved the use of 527s on his behalf. McCain's benefitted from them since April. Up til now Obama had made it clear that he didn't want any Obama-friendly 527s operating. I guess now he figures if you can't beat 'em you might as well join em.

Quote:
Calm down. You are paying way too much attention to the national polls. McCain's numbers have gone up, but they were supposed to. Compared to the baseline of the polling numbers immediately before the Dem convention, Obama actually got a slightly higher bump from his convention than McCain did. It will level out.

Regardless, the electoral college is how this thing is won. As the map stands right now, it hugely favors Obama. Obama can lose both Ohio and Florida and still win the election. Don't panic. The spike in McCain's numbers are normal and expected.
Yeah, this is definitely not "the sky is falling." At the same time, even before Palin, in mid-August, we were seeing McCain's numbers creep up as he launched a couple of very successful ad campaigns, while Obama was strategically sunning himself in Maui. So we can talk about Palin's bounce all we want (I know TripleDaddy does), but that's not the whole story.

The electoral college may yet be Obama's saving grace. McCain is not competing well in the swing states, though polls show him winning over some of those voters in the last week.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
Coonass

Coonass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here's what I don't get. Why does Obama suddenly seem paralyzed by the fact that he's running against a woman? Wasn't he running against a woman all year?
Sort of a woman.
Coonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the media are apalled that they are even convering the comments. They say he clearly wasn't referring to Sarah.

I agree, he clearly wasn't referring to Sarah, but left the door open to anyone who wants to refer to Sarah. Libs do this all the time. Someone uses a word like "uppity" to describe Obama. What does the press say. Not that he didn't mean some racial slur, but that he should have know better even if he wasn't. How about the Senate Majority leader that got taken down for praising that old fart in the Senate.

The press will clearly take someone down for something they said that had an inuendo in it, intended or otherwise. Ask Don Imus. They won't take down their boy Barak though.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote