cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Dehlin is definitely under suspicion for being a wolf in sheep's clothing and using his membership status to lead people out of the church. That may not be fair or accurate, but that is the suspicion.

But Kelly organized protests at General Conference. If she didn't organize them, then she headed the organization that did. This is about as high risk action as one can take related to excommunication. If it were just the website and media appearances, that would still be a risk. But the protests put it over the top. Now I understand that supporters have said she never demanded any doctrinal change or not following authorities and so forth. I haven't followed it closely enough to know.

So I guess in some camps you have people saying Kelly should go, but not Dehlin. Then some saying the reverse. Others saying both should go so. And some upset that either could go.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Dam I can't stand Cougarboard right now.
The religion board is blocked for me on CB. Good thing because the idiocy on just the football board drive me crazy.

Spending a little time on CB reminds me of how unlikeable the average CBer is. At the very best annoying and cloying, at the worst barbarians at the gate.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The Ordain Women thing doesn't surprise me. They want to nip that in the bud. They no doubt have been upset about the protests and all the media attention they have received.

Cut off the head and maybe you kill the beast. Or alternatively, like a hydra, it grows new heads.

Dehlin. I follow him at the barest of margins. Meaning that I don't generally read what he writes, I've only listened to one or two podcasts, but of course I've heard a lot about him and read articles in which he is quoted. I feel like I know him, internet-speaking, second-hand. And I've never had a good impression of him. I see him as more snake than not.

Having said that, if the basis of excommunication is public profession of doubt regarding truth claims of the church, gosh, that's a real stretch for excommunication. We're going to excommunicate people for weak testimonies?

The real argument may be that they think Dehlin is out there actively trying to weaken testimonies. That he is really an anti- in sheep's clothing. I don't follow him closely enough to know.

Like times before, the church is willing to take a PR hit when they feel they have to. This is the first round.

The ire of liberal Mormons may increase much more if they go after someone like Joanna Brooks.
Oh the crushing irony of this post alongside the name George Orwell. They are just 90 year old metaphysical brown shirts. Brutes.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Do you have anything to say other than Mormonism is a bunch of lies and adherents believe in lies?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just when I get despondent about things and want to give up, SeattleUte always shows up and helps me readjust my outlook. He's like my guardian angel. Always strengthening my faith when I am weak.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #16
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is him in the news:

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories...id_11929.shtml

He didn't mention that much more people leave the Church after listening to his podcast than stay. And he accuses the Church of hiding its history.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Here is him in the news:

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories...id_11929.shtml

He didn't mention that much more people leave the Church after listening to his podcast than stay. And he accuses the Church of hiding its history.
How do you know?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How do you know?
1. He told an ex-Mormon board himself, as documented in Greg Smith's "hit piece."
http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/wp-...on-Stories.pdf

2. When he became active again, funding for his podcast immediately plummeted. Says something about what his donors believed the effect of the podcast was.

3. The comments on his podcasts are overwhelmingly negative. He has to warn people to be polite whenever someone faithful comes on. So it's expected which direction his podcast nudges people towards.

I don't know if he's a wolf or not, but that's irrelevant. He is driving people away from the Church.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
ChinoCoug

The NY Times article says he's published studies on gay Mormons, making himself out to be some kind of an expert. If he did so in a journal, I'd love to read it.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

1. Is he driving people away from the church? Hard to know exactly.

2. Is it his perception that he is driving people away from the church, in balance? Perhaps so.

3. Is it his intent to drive people away from the church? Hard to say. Ultimately that's something only he knows. And God.

4. If he is not intending to drive people away from the church, but that is the net result, what is his responsibility?

5. Does he love to be the center of attention? Yes, definitely so.