cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default CG Book Recommendation

I see that the "Book of the bi-month" sticky thread has disappeared. I have a suggestion for our next book: The World is Flat by Tom Friedman. I was talking with a friend today and he said was in a meeting recently with Elder Scott and the topic of this book came up. Elder Scott commented that "all of the brethren have read this book". It seems highly unusual to me that a book by a non-member would seem important enough that the twelve would all read it. I have had a copy for a while. Sounds like I need to check it out.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
I see that the "Book of the bi-month" sticky thread has disappeared. I have a suggestion for our next book: The World is Flat by Tom Friedman. I was talking with a friend today and he said was in a meeting recently with Elder Scott and the topic of this book came up. Elder Scott commented that "all of the brethren have read this book". It seems highly unusual to me that a book by a non-member would seem important enough that the twelve would all read it. I have had a copy for a while. Sounds like I need to check it out.
I've never heard of it -- what's it about?
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
I've never heard of it -- what's it about?
http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-Upd...e=UTF8&s=books
Old 09-01-2006, 03:53 AM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

The book is definitely worth reading. Very eye-opening. I found his theories on the economic causes of terrorism very interesting.

The only thing I didnt like about the book were the pot shots at Bush he snuck in every once in a while. I am sure others on the board loved it for the same reason.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'm sure it's because a somewhat famous Mormon is quoted fairly extenisively in the book, including discussion of how even though the company of which he is CEO is based in New York much of his labor force is "offshore" in Salt Lake City, in fact stay at home moms who work from their own living rooms. They're an insular group, those Mormons. (I used to get that CEO in head locks and hold him down until he screamed for mama to come set him free.)

No, I haven't read The World is Flat cover to cover. Not really my kind of book.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-01-2006 at 05:12 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:02 AM   #6
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I'm sure it's because a somewhat famous Mormon is quoted in it fairly extenisively in the book, including discussion of how even though the company of which he is CEO is based in New York much of his labor force is "offshore" in Salt Lake City, in fact stay at home moms who work from their own living rooms. They're an insular group, those Mormons. (I used to get that CEO in head locks and hold him down until he screamed for mama to come set him free.)

No, I haven't read The World is Flat cover to cover. Not really my kind of book.
And now look at him and look at you...
Old 09-01-2006, 05:12 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
And now look at him and look at you...
To me, you'll always be your avatar. Is it you? It seems a perfect fit.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Friedman is one of the best, most intelligent writers around for books of his genre. The Lexus and the Olive Tree and From Beirut to Jerusalem are absolute must reads as well.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
To me, you'll always be your avatar. Is it you? It seems a perfect fit.
It's not me, but keep fantasizing.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Amen. From Beirut to Jerusalem is a great book.