cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Great Brain

There is a YM in our ward who can't read particularly well. He's much better than he used to be, but he still struggles. For example, he messes up about 75% of the time he does the sacrament prayer (it's more the deficit in reading skills than nerves I think).

In the past, the Bishop has actually called someone to tutor him.

Anyway, I decided to get him a book. But the problem is, how do I get him to read it? I chose the Great Brain, because I like the series, and it might appeal to his sense of fun and mischief.

But how do I actually get him to read it? I thought about saying if he reads this book, I'll get him the next one, and so forth.

Btw, his dad is a control freak, and I might have to be careful not to ruffle his feathers.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 AM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I loved The Great Brain books when I was a kid. I re-read a couple recently and they were still pretty great.

And in answer to your question, bribe him.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

bribe him, a set of books isn't enough bribery?

This kid probably doesn't have five books to his name.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was a YM president several years back I had a group of priests who really weren't planning on missions. None of their fathers had served and none of them were expected by their families to serve. I wanted them to read Groberg's "In the Eye of the Storm" (which I think describes one of the most exciting modern missions) to try and get them excited about the idea of serving a mission. This was before the book's name was changed to match the movie that I didn't like. I tried bribing with food, a party when all were finished etc... Of my 6 priests I got not one taker. No readers in the bunch.

We had tried the same thing prior to that with the Book of Mormon. The Bishop and I even met with them after church each Sunday at the Bishop's home. He furnished Marie Calendar pie and we'd all read a couple of chapters together with the goal of being able to say they'd actually read the book. Attendance dropped to 0 within a month. If you figure out what motivates non-readers to read let me know. I'd hoped that actually getting a few pages into the book would do it, but I couldn't get them that far.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 08-21-2007 at 01:53 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There is a YM in our ward who can't read particularly well. He's much better than he used to be, but he still struggles. For example, he messes up about 75% of the time he does the sacrament prayer (it's more the deficit in reading skills than nerves I think).

In the past, the Bishop has actually called someone to tutor him.

Anyway, I decided to get him a book. But the problem is, how do I get him to read it? I chose the Great Brain, because I like the series, and it might appeal to his sense of fun and mischief.

But how do I actually get him to read it? I thought about saying if he reads this book, I'll get him the next one, and so forth.

Btw, his dad is a control freak, and I might have to be careful not to ruffle his feathers.

The Great Brain books are a great choice. The kid's dad shouldn't have a problem with you supplying those books.
Props to you for giving a damn about the young men under your stewardship

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote