cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many Harry Potter books have you read?
0 11 33.33%
1 1 3.03%
2 1 3.03%
3 0 0%
4 2 6.06%
5 1 3.03%
6 3 9.09%
7 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many Harry Potter books have you read?

I began the series on a recent flight from London to Amsterdam, purchasing the first installment (along with Kafka's Metamorphosis) for a simpler break from my law books.

Five flights later, I am sitting in the Denver airport waiting for my connection to Salt Lake City, and am up to #3 now.

I thought the first book was fun, but really not my genre, and doubted I would finish the series. But I came to find they are somewhat addicting. A week later, with paperback #2 on display in a terminal, I thought oh what the hell...
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I began the series on a recent flight from London to Amsterdam, purchasing the first installment (along with Kafka's Metamorphosis) for a simpler break from my law books.

Five flights later, I am sitting in the Denver airport waiting for my connection to Salt Lake City, and am up to #3 now.

I thought the first book was fun, but really not my genre, and doubted I would finish the series. But I came to find they are somewhat addicting. A week later, with paperback #2 on display in a terminal, I thought oh what the hell...
All seven. I even did a midnight party for number six to break up the monotony of studying for the bar.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked #3, I think you'll have fun with the series.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Marsupial and I read them aloud to each other. I think they get progressively better. We've enjoyed them and are about 1/3 way through 7.

Farrah -- I assume you're done by now? You seemed to be cruising through it.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I would think that there would be a high correlation between people who have read the books and age of kids. My son started to get into the books in about 2000, when he was 7, and that got us all reading them. My wife and I, and two of our kids, have read all 7 books.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I read the first 6 last Summer after I finished Les Miserables. I needed a break to read something fun.

I haven't purchased the 7th one yet because I'm reading "The Stand" right now, and already have several other books purchased that haven't been read yet. I'll probably wait til next Summer when it's published in paperback.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Mrs. Meanie

Mrs. Meanie is on a distinguished road

BFM and I have read all seven books. When #6 came out I stayed up until midnight to go buy the book at our local Walmart. I decided not to do that again for #7 because I wanted to be awake to read it.

I think that #7 is my favorite one of them all because the action seemed nonstop until the end.

Daphne Du Maurier
Mrs. Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote