cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #41
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
to church membership, which I am not inagreement with, I would like to know the following. If you are filing for bankruptcy and having your assets protected, are you allowed to pay tithing.

I would accept someones gambling winnings as tithing before I would money kept from filing bankruptcy. Of course I don't make the rules.
I don't completely understand the hostility towards members filing bankruptcy. Particularly when the main reasons for bankruptcy are injury or illness. I think it is an important safety net in our society. I also think as members we ought to be cautious passing judgment on those who are in dire straits.

My surmise is that this is an example of the familiar tendancy to take a correct principle (self-sufficiency) too far (judging those who rely on the aid of the collective). Like paying 15% tithing.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #42
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't completely understand the hostility towards members filing bankruptcy. Particularly when the main reasons for bankruptcy are injury or illness. I think it is an important safety net in our society. I also think as members we ought to be cautious passing judgment on those who are in dire straits.

My surmise is that this is an example of the familiar tendancy to take a correct principle (self-sufficiency) too far (judging those who rely on the aid of the collective). Like paying 15% tithing.
Amen. I know some very good people who have had to file for bankruptcy. I don't think you can make blanket criticisms without knowing the facts.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm being too judgmental about the judgmental people.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #43
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

If it is needed I am all for it. I also know of the situations where someone hides his assets with his wife or someone else and declares bankruptcy. Talk to guys in this state in the construction business and ask them if they have ever gotten nailed by an active LDS person who still has plenty of money but left them all up a creek. They have probably gotten nailed by others too. I know of one instance of a guy who lives up in the high rent district and basically files every 10 years. He is active in the church and everyone accepts he just has some poor business luck. My butt!!!!1
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #44
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If it is needed I am all for it. I also know of the situations where someone hides his assets with his wife or someone else and declares bankruptcy. Talk to guys in this state in the construction business and ask them if they have ever gotten nailed by an active LDS person who still has plenty of money but left them all up a creek. They have probably gotten nailed by others too. I know of one instance of a guy who lives up in the high rent district and basically files every 10 years. He is active in the church and everyone accepts he just has some poor business luck. My butt!!!!1
I'm with you here. There's a big difference with someone who legitimately needs to file for bankruptcy, and those who abuse the system.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
An issue I have with the new reforms deals with the changes. One of the biggest causes are the proliferation of credit cards. Companies virtually throw them at people who have no business getting a credit card.

So when people used bankruptcy to discharge credit card debt, the banks ran to Congress to relieve the problem the banks had created. Now they're free to exonerate almost with impunity.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #46
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So your objection is to those who commit fraud. I agree.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #47
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Really? What 'data'? Are you talking about per capita income? Does it adjust for family size?

This is an example of you finding what you are lookign for.
I don't have data, but Utah has a highly educated population and a limited number of jobs. Employers can pay less because there is always a qualified person who will accept less.

I believe the high number of bankruptcies in Utah has everything to do with the gargantuan homes carving up the mountain side and the brand new SUVs all over the roads. It has little to do with family size or tithing.

Also, my impression is that there is a prevalent "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude in Utah. Sure, this is everywhere, but when your next door neighbors are also your ward members it becomes magnified.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #48
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters, let's split this off into a new Utah sucks thread and keep it on rollin.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #49
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1. Crappy pay
2. Larger than average family size, requiring larger homes and other related increased costs
3. Tithing

I think Utahns are living on a thinner income margin than most Americans. That puts them in a position where adverse financial events can put them into bankruptcy faster than the average Joe.

That doesn't absolve the 'keeping up with the Joneses' group, which exist in every subpopulation, but I think there are a non-trivial number of people that are at risk given the 3 items above.
I think it's more a function of the new Suburban they have to buy every 5 years, the ski boat, the jet skis, etc.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #50
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Utah is a poor state. It didn't sink in until years after I moved away from Salt Lake and took my second wife there, the first time she'd been there. Such experiences give you new eyes. Much of it is pretty oppressive and run down and quite hopeless, frankly, if not utterly banal.
Are you a polygamist?

Second, you have the be the oldest. I know you probably grew up comfortably and whatnot. But the one thing your upbringing deprived you of was enough asswhoopins. Gettin one's ass kicked frequently brings them great benefit and helps society to be short one more pretentious asshole.

Someday, you and I should hook up. I would kick your old ass out of principle. Lets do it in the next 10 years or so, past that I feel I would be too old.

I'll bring the Elders or Bronco Mendenhall as well, just for a little spiritual guidance for the both of us.