cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Default What do you do about lunch at work?

Do your wives make you lunches to eat, or do you go out to eat? If they make your lunch what sorts of things do they pack for you?

I am kind of opposed to sandwiches. I know that's weird, few people understand the aversion. Let's just say that after years of nothing but sandwiches for lunch I got some serious burnout. I'll eat them if someone else makes one, or if they crop up at a meeting or something, but you'll never catch me making one for myself.

Which leaves me in kind of a dilemma as to what to eat for lunch. I don't really like eating out, so I try and avoid going that route. I know it's not entirely normal but if I don't pay attention I'll forget to eat lunch all together and then have to eat a big dinner to try and compensate for lost calories (which fyi, is not effective).

So in an effort to improve my eating habits I've been trying to remember to take food with me to work for lunch. I taken frozen tamales sometimes and microwave them. I don't usually have a lot of leftovers. Is that what you all eat for lunch? Leftovers?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Do your wives make you lunches to eat, or do you go out to eat? If they make your lunch what sorts of things do they pack for you?

I am kind of opposed to sandwiches. I know that's weird, few people understand the aversion. Let's just say that after years of nothing but sandwiches for lunch I got some serious burnout. I'll eat them if someone else makes one, or if they crop up at a meeting or something, but you'll never catch me making one for myself.

Which leaves me in kind of a dilemma as to what to eat for lunch. I don't really like eating out, so I try and avoid going that route. I know it's not entirely normal but if I don't pay attention I'll forget to eat lunch all together and then have to eat a big dinner to try and compensate for lost calories (which fyi, is not effective).

So in an effort to improve my eating habits I've been trying to remember to take food with me to work for lunch. I taken frozen tamales sometimes and microwave them. I don't usually have a lot of leftovers. Is that what you all eat for lunch? Leftovers?
Everyday I have basically the same thing....

10AM - Fruit Cup or Yogurt

12 - Carrots, granola bar, banana or hardboiled egg (sometimes I mix in fat free pudding)

2pm - apple

3pm Orange
Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Leftovers or whatever the cafeteria was serving. And a jar of peanut butter at the desk in case of emergencies.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Mon - Thurs = Prepacked salads (good use of leftovers)

Fri Lunch = Seafood out - we alternate between The Dancing Crab, McCormick and Schmick (Reston), or Legal Seafood.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I typically like to rotate between a PBJ (Jelly), PBJ (Jam), PBH and if I'm all out of bread, then just PB. It keeps things interesting. I've been doing this for about 10 years now. Trust me. It never gets old.

BTW, did you know that 96% of people put the PB on first when making a PBJ? Interesting, eh. I, for one, am one of the 4%.

Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself:

http://www.peanutbutter.com/funfacts.asp
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I typically like to rotate between a PBJ (Jelly), PBJ (Jam), PBH and if I'm all out of bread, then just PB. It keeps things interesting. I've been doing this for about 10 years now. Trust me. It never gets old.

BTW, did you know that 96% of people put the PB on first when making a PBJ? Interesting, eh. I, for one, am one of the 4%.

Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself:

http://www.peanutbutter.com/funfacts.asp

What flavor of jelly/jam do you use?

Or do you rotate?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I eat 6 times a day and I hate preparing the 3 meals that I eat at work. So, I usually go with a protein bar and a yogurt for the first 2 meals and a Myoplex shake for the lunch. When I get home I have real food.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
What flavor of jelly/jam do you use?

Or do you rotate?
Always Strawberry jam, usually grape jelly. Honey is, well, honey.

How about you?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Always Strawberry jam, usually grape jelly. Honey is, well, honey.

How about you?
Your taste isn't half bad.

I use Smuckers 100% Fruit.

1. Strawberry
2. Grape
3. Peach (if I have to)

Raspberry is a crime against the very essence of jam.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post

Does anyone's wife make them lunch? That would be an incredible thing.

I try to change up on the usual sandwiches with lots of soups that I make, but I have access to a refrigerator. Also, in an effort to broaden the lunch menu for myself and my daughter I started making hummus burritos. These are super easy (tortilla, hummus, maybe avocado or tomato) tasty, and avoid a lot of the fat that is in peanut butter. Always a little fruit. Maybe some almonds, something crazy like that.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote