cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #61
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
islam does respect people's lives ,thats why there is death penalty for someone who has committed first degree murder,so now ...lets see if we could give the same value to the spirit as well.. i mean sentencing death penalty for someone who is intentionally desteroying people's belief .. how rational it might sound to you ?
It doesn't sound rational. It sounds irrational and disrespectful.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #62
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
islam does respect people's lives ,thats why there is death penalty for someone who has committed first degree murder,so now ...lets see if we could give the same value to the spirit as well.. i mean sentencing death penalty for someone who is intentionally desteroying people's belief .. how rational it might sound to you ?
Mindful:

We have examples in our scriptures when people were "justifiably" murdered because they might have caused spiritual harm to others. In this way, we have something in common with Islam.

The difference is that these scriptural examples are viewed by many as very distant and perhaps even allegorical (fictional) stories. In other words, most of us don't really believe that God wants us to kill people because they do spiritual damage to others.

So, your beliefs and our beliefs have something in common, from a scriptural perspective. Many Mormons might even acknowledge that Mohammed was a prophet. The problem is that you guys interpret scripture too literally, and this is a form of fanaticism. Extreme Islam seems barbaric and bloodthirsty to us, especially when we see that people are willing (and feel justified) to kill each other over such trivial things as a book, and all in the name of religion.

I realize that the Koran is the center of your faith, and that it's perceived by many Muslims as horribly disrespectful that Rushdie wrote his book about the Satanic Verses.

But people write books mocking the Book of Mormon or Mormon beliefs all the time, and we just roll with it, and life is much more civil. It's a lot easier to have a normal society when you're not trying to kill people over books. There is no need to play medieval games with fatwas and hukms and killing people over their words.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #63
Archaea

And thus we see what happens when nobody wishes to be civil, I give Afghanistan, Iraq, Chechnya et al.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #64
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And thus we see what happens when nobody wishes to be civil, I give Afghanistan, Iraq, Chechnya et al.
and we see what happens when somebody wishes to give others democracy and civilization agianst thier will ,i give Iraq ,Afghanistan....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #65
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Mindful:

We have examples in our scriptures when people were "justifiably" murdered because they might have caused spiritual harm to others. In this way, we have something in common with Islam.

The difference is that these scriptural examples are viewed by many as very distant and perhaps even allegorical (fictional) stories. In other words, most of us don't really believe that God wants us to kill people because they do spiritual damage to others.

So, your beliefs and our beliefs have something in common, from a scriptural perspective. Many Mormons might even acknowledge that Mohammed was a prophet. The problem is that you guys interpret scripture too literally, and this is a form of fanaticism. Extreme Islam seems barbaric and bloodthirsty to us, especially when we see that people are willing (and feel justified) to kill each other over such trivial things as a book, and all in the name of religion.

I realize that the Koran is the center of your faith, and that it's perceived by many Muslims as horribly disrespectful that Rushdie wrote his book about the Satanic Verses.

But people write books mocking the Book of Mormon or Mormon beliefs all the time, and we just roll with it, and life is much more civil. It's a lot easier to have a normal society when you're not trying to kill people over books. There is no need to play medieval games with fatwas and hukms and killing people over their words.
ok ,i admit that we are standing on different stages and it could NOt get any close by further discussion ,since it requires us to be familiar with islamic jurisprudence and quran interpretation if we determine to fetch the core of fatwa ,which is well..impossible here .
but you should notice that i am NOT going to make a god of ayatollah khomeini nor an immaculate person but to oppose to his fatwa you ought be knowing the principals and the knowledge .
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #66
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is where we suffer a disconnect. I heard a Muslim cleric (radio interview)defend the violence over the Muhammed cartoon using the same logic; the violence was justified because the offense was similar to an act of war. This is something our modern Western society does not understand.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #67
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mindfulcoug, to put it as succinctly as I can:

If your society persists on trying to kill our society because of what you perceive as our spiritual offences....we will have no choice but to defend ourselves.

Do not superimpose your values onto us. We don't go to Iran and kill people because of their "honor" killings, even though it deeply offends us.

Unfortunately, many in the West have come to the conclusion that Muslims have a death wish. I wish it were not so.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #68
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
i got your point ,but wouldnot it be wise to prevent this from the very first step...no offensive no severe reaction!
write your insights and ideas, providing convincing proofs and be open to the critics instead?
The critics including those issueing fatwas as their criticism?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #69
Archaea

Quote:
and we see what happens when somebody wishes to give others democracy and civilization agianst thier will ,i give Iraq ,Afghanistan....
That may be your interpretation of our doings, but it's not mine. And the two episodes are different.

Afghanistan was self-defense.

Iraq was a mistake. I did not and do not support the war but I hope for the safe return of our soldiers.

Nonetheless, we can see how Islamicists prefer anarchy and chaos to successful, technologically advanced societies.