cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree, I think wealth promotes moderation more than education because you can have a motivated educate populace a la Nazi Germany, which Iran is becoming.

Wealth, a vibrant middle class, and free access is liberating, not education alone, for China.

I see the madrasses as a bad thing, and secularization of Islam the best thing we can ever enjoy.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #22
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I disagree, I think wealth promotes moderation more than education because you can have a motivated educate populace a la Nazi Germany, which Iran is becoming.

Wealth, a vibrant middle class, and free access is liberating, not education alone, for China.

I see the madrasses as a bad thing, and secularization of Islam the best thing we can ever enjoy.
Then what's your explanation for the fall of communism in the USSR?

You could just as easily argue that poverty promoted moderation in the case of the USSR, since perestroika was a supremely miserable, impoverished decade that led to the fall of the state religion (communism).
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #23
SoonerCoug

Quote:

And I may be wrong, but I thought the economy in Nazi Germany was reinvigorated by Hitler's government, but the wealth only made the people more extreme. I guess you're arguing that the years immediately post World War I were impoverished, and that's why the Germans were easily turned to Nazi-ism and genocide?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #24
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
And I may be wrong, but I thought the economy in Nazi Germany was reinvigorated by Hitler's government, but the wealth only made the people more extreme. I guess you're arguing that the years immediately post World War I were impoverished, and that's why the Germans were easily turned to Nazi-ism and genocide?
Germans were horribly impoverished under the Treaty of Versaille. A Kanzler named Streseman started some economic policies the benefits of which were not realized until Hitler assumed power and took credit for them.

So Nazi Germany resulted from the confluence of many horrible circumstances, but the benefits of wealth were really never realized until Hitler wrongfully took credit for another man's work and then proceeded to impoverish Germany again.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #25
Archaea

Quote:
Then what's your explanation for the fall of communism in the USSR?

You could just as easily argue that poverty promoted moderation in the case of the USSR, since perestroika was a supremely miserable, impoverished decade that led to the fall of the state religion (communism).
Poverty collapsed the controlling regime and perestroika was Gorbachev's effort to attract capital and to somehow preserve his control. Reagan's build up broke the Soviets.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #26
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Poverty collapsed the controlling regime and perestroika was Gorbachev's effort to attract capital and to somehow preserve his control. Reagan's build up broke the Soviets.
OK. So do we want to impoverish our enemies or make them rich? It sounds like either works, according to your theory.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:52 AM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
OK. So do we want to impoverish our enemies or make them rich? It sounds like either works, according to your theory.
You do not want to make a government rich so that it can divert the resources unnecessarily toward military build up, but you'd like to make the populace rich so that the primary motivation to war is removed. It cannot always be done.

N. Korea and Cuba have shown remarkable staying power. Cuba educates its populace, I cannot speak for North Korea.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 AM   #28
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What proof do you have that a theocratic Iran is a "pretty decent society."

Saudi Arabia which practices the theocracy you so admire locked female children inside a schoolhouse because the religion's barbaric notions regarding the sexes.

Iran a decent society? That is a veritable hooter. Many of my clients are from there; it is not a decent society at the current time.
i have no idea what your current occupation is ,but you would be an amazing judge if you 'd pursue the career. assessing a whole nation over some clients statements???

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 10-31-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #29
SoonerCoug

[QUOTE=mindfulcoug;92018]
Quote:
What proof do you have that a theocratic Iran is a "pretty decent society."

Saudi Arabia which practices the theocracy you so admire locked female children inside a schoolhouse because the religion's barbaric notions regarding the sexes.

Iran a decent society? That is a veritable hooter. Many of my clients are from there; it is not a decent society at the current time.[/QU

i have no idea of what your current occupation is ,but you would be an amazing judge if you 'd pursued the career. assessing a whole nation over some clients statements???
He's no different from me. I assess the whole nation over a few interactions with specific people. Iran is a big freaking mystery to us.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #30
Archaea

[quote=SoonerCoug;92020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post

He's no different from me. I assess the whole nation over a few interactions with specific people. Iran is a big freaking mystery to us.
To be qualified to judge Iran, I would need to speak Farsi, and perhaps Kurdish, be a student of Shia Islam in all its varieties, know the vagaries of theocratic regimes within Iran, understand the oil and gas industries, be familiar with five thousand years of history of the region, and study the demographics of a complex region. BTW, the test language for the MTC is farsi, in case you didn't know.