cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 06-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Iraqi Orphans Chained to Beds

These are special needs kids in a GOVERNMENT orphanage that are chained to beds and starving. That's the government our nation is propping up right now, in order to prevent Iraq from turning into an Iran, where they likely do a better job taking care of their orphans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2946007.shtml

http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/baghdad/

Something ain't right.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
These are special needs kids in a GOVERNMENT orphanage that are chained to beds and starving. That's the government our nation is propping up right now, in order to prevent Iraq from turning into an Iran, where they likely do a better job taking care of their orphans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2946007.shtml

http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/baghdad/

Something ain't right.
Okay, between this and that photo Michael posted earlier, now you're just depressing me.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You're not saying we want another Iran, right?

Wait... Iran's not a threat. I keep forgetting. All that "Death to America" stuff is just talk.

And "likely"? C'mon, back that up. Find where Iran takes good care of its orphans and then make the statement.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

Wait... Iran's not a threat. I keep forgetting. All that "Death to America" stuff is just talk.
I never said that Iran is not a threat. But I believe Iran is a pretty decent society, and the younger Iranians are reasonably educated and westernized enough that Iran will most certainly become more moderate over time.

I'm also saying that in Iran, they probably do a better job taking care of their orphans.

And it's not difficult to see why most Iraqis want us to leave, and why they think it's OK to kill US troops. We're supporting an incompetent and corrupt government and delaying the inevitable filling of a power vacuum. We might even be better off installing a dictator who is popular among Iraqis and willing to be partially loyal to us.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I never said that Iran is not a threat. But I believe Iran is a pretty decent society, and the younger Iranians are reasonably educated and westernized enough that Iran will most certainly become more moderate over time.

I'm also saying that in Iran, they probably do a better job taking care of their orphans.

And it's not difficult to see why most Iraqis want us to leave, and why they think it's OK to kill US troops. We're supporting an incompetent and corrupt government and delaying the inevitable filling of a power vacuum. We might even be better off installing a dictator who is popular among Iraqis and willing to be partially loyal to us.
The fact that there are abused orphans in Iraq is awful.

But I think your expectations for Iraq's ability to govern itself are too high. This democracy thing is new. Many people involved in the new government have spent years doing things Saddam's way.

Just because Baghdad isn't a shining city on the hill right now doesn't mean it never will be.

And how do you know most Iraqis want us to leave? Who is touring the country polling its citizens on these issues?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

What proof do you have that a theocratic Iran is a "pretty decent society."

Saudi Arabia which practices the theocracy you so admire locked female children inside a schoolhouse because the religion's barbaric notions regarding the sexes.

Iran a decent society? That is a veritable hooter. Many of my clients are from there; it is not a decent society at the current time.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
SoonerCoug

Quote:

And "likely"? C'mon, back that up. Find where Iran takes good care of its orphans and then make the statement.
My biggest problem with Iran is that 30% of the population can't read. Apparently that number is a vast improvement over what it was before Khomeini came into power (back when the US was propping up the Shah).

We all know that Iran promotes a fanatical version of Islam, and that there is lots of crazy rhetoric about destroying Israel and death to America. That kind of stuff is a game that the political and religious leaders play with their people in order to rally the people and maintain power. They focus discontent or even hatred on outsiders and thereby distract the people from domestic problems. Russia does the same thing. If the US is the enemy, then people will rally behind the government in power, despite all kinds of horrible domestic problems.

Granted, our domestic problems don't rival those of Iran or Russia, but does the US government ever play this very same game?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What proof do you have that a theocratic Iran is a "pretty decent society."

Saudi Arabia which practices the theocracy you so admire locked female children inside a schoolhouse because the religion's barbaric notions regarding the sexes.

Iran a decent society? That is a veritable hooter. Many of my clients are from there; it is not a decent society at the current time.
I guess I meant to say that Iran is a more decent, functioning society than the present situation in Iraq, and I'm not sure if Iraq can hope to be higher functioning than Iran in the next 20 years.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My biggest problem with Iran is that 30% of the population can't read. Apparently that number is a vast improvement over what it was before Khomeini came into power (back when the US was propping up the Shah).

We all know that Iran promotes a fanatical version of Islam, and that there is lots of crazy rhetoric about destroying Israel and death to America. That kind of stuff is a game that the political and religious leaders play with their people in order to rally the people and maintain power. They focus discontent or even hatred on outsiders and thereby distract the people from domestic problems. Russia does the same thing. If the US is the enemy, then people will rally behind the government in power, despite all kinds of horrible domestic problems.

Granted, our domestic problems don't rival those of Iran or Russia, but does the US government ever play this very same game?
You won't find any theocratic Islamic regime treating its people well. There will be separate segments treated well, but others equally as badly. Just look at the past wonderful regime of the Taliban, such a benevolent group. Because of the harsh oppression exerted by the theocratic dictatorship, which is Iran, their atrocities are not publicized.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But I think your expectations for Iraq's ability to govern itself are too high. This democracy thing is new. Many people involved in the new government have spent years doing things Saddam's way.
I agree with this sentiment. Establishing an effective bureacracy with proper oversights is difficult, even for the older nations. Inneficiency, waste, and corruption will always be problems for governments.

In this case, I was sickened by the treatment of the orphans, but I don't know all the facts involved so I won't condemn the entire Iraqi government. It appears to be a situation where corruption/apathy/incompetence was occuring at the lowest level and proper oversights were not in place. This happens in a bureacracy. It's wrong, but it happens. Hopefully the government will fix the problem and the situation will be remedied.

I am encouraged by the outrage that appears to be occuring because of this. One of the articles you posted mention Iraqi's who were disgusted by the treatment of orphans. If there were no outrage, I would be much more concerned.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote