cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #21
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I said tormented. I stand by that.
Frankly, even I agree with SeattleUte on this one. Mormon culture can be pointless and irrelevant at best, obnoxious and demeaning at worst. This is made all the more worse by the fact that it is supposed to elevate a man's spirit to celestial heights. Even faithful, active Mormons who think differently than other faithful, active Mormons often find themselves at the receiving end of significant amounts of hatred and bile-- exempli gratia, I give you this board. I also submit that any person who has left the church suffers tremendously as a result of treatment from the members.

Unlike SU, however, I see a sharp distinction between Mormon culture and the LDS religion.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Frankly, even I agree with SeattleUte on this one. Mormon culture can be pointless and irrelevant at best, obnoxious and demeaning at worst. This is made all the more worse by the fact that it is supposed to elevate a man's spirit to celestial heights. Even faithful, active Mormons who think differently than other faithful, active Mormons often find themselves at the receiving end of significant amounts of hatred and bile-- exempli gratia, I give you this board. I also submit that any person who has left the church suffers tremendously as a result of treatment from the members.

Unlike SU, however, I see a sharp distinction between Mormon culture and the LDS religion.
Perhaps I'm insensitive enough to others' feelings to ignore the "torment". That term seems highly emotive, reserved for a few moments of extreme agony where you wish death could be heaped upon you.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #23
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Perhaps I'm insensitive enough to others' feelings to ignore the "torment". That term seems highly emotive, reserved for a few moments of extreme agony where you wish death could be heaped upon you.
Torment may be a little strong. On the other hand, I don't doubt that Mormon culture has been an impetus for the suicide of not a few.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Along the same lines, when I worked at a fast food rest. in high school, I had a coworker whose family moved to Sandy, Utah. He told me that his sister (all nonmembers) had told him that there was one black guy in the entire high school, and that members of the high school had made a pact to drive him out before graduation.

I have no idea if this is true or not. But it wasn't impressing my coworker.
I call BS on that one.

The stories people tell sometimes of Utah culture are amazing sometimes. Amazingly absurd.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 AM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I call BS on that one.

The stories people tell sometimes of Utah culture are amazing sometimes. Amazingly absurd.
Why do you have to ruin a good story showing how backwards, racist and intolerant Utah Mormon's are? Whoe cares if it's completely absurd and likely untrue? It's just another way to demonstrate that Utah Mormon's are monsters who can never know the gospel like out of state Mormon's.

Last edited by YOhio; 05-15-2007 at 03:17 AM.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Why do you have to ruin a good story showing how backwards, racist and intolerant Utah Mormon's are? Whoe cares if it's completely absurd and likely untrue? It's just another way to demonstrate that Utah Mormon's are monsters who can never know the gospel like out of state Mormon's.
Good point.

Let me put it this way, there are so many black kids adopted into Utah families these days that the idea of a high school in Sandy with only one black student is just laughable. Let alone the non-adopted crowd.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:30 AM   #27
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tell her that Utah Mormons are not representative of true Mormonism.

It's an unfortunately truth. In Utah, they unrighteously mix culture and religion.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Utah Mormonism is the true Mormonism. It is true that out of state Mormons are better than Utah Mormons, but that's because their Mormonness (I know that's not really a word) is diluted by interaction with normal society. I have lived in and out of Utah and I enjoyed the church much more outside of Utah. It's a bad thing to have too many Mormons in one place. They get weird. Don't believe me? Check out the MTC.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I call BS on that one.

Agree. I graduated from a high school in Sandy 25 years ago and there were three black kids in my class alone.

The other two were younger.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #29
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I graduated from a high school in Sandy 25 years ago
Man, you are old!
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Man, you are old!
My kids tell me that all the time, especially when we're playing hoops in the driveway. They don't believe me when I tell them that I'm just conserving energy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote