cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Stop by my house next time you have a headache and I'll treat you with my guaranteed "pain transfer" method of curing headaches.

How do I do it? A 16 lb. sledge to the side of your knee and I promise the headache will go away.
With how painful my headaches get...that's preferable.

I've had a couple of surgeries, a broken bone, partially torn achilles, passed a kidney stone, but the worst pain I've experienced by far is a migraine. Nothing has come close.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A little sharper. Like a dull hum had been turned off.
Great description. I've often searched for words to describe this effect but have come up empty.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you quitting cold turkey or gradually weaning? If you reduce your consumption slowly maybe you won't get such bad headaches? My wife suffered from the same type of headaches because she's got the Diet Dew jones, but she phased it out and it was not so bad. Also, as you quit you will want to replace with a bunch of water, sometimes that helps with headaches.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've thought about that, but I really don't enjoy the diet drinks. I know I could learn to like them, but for me it's the over all health issue. I'd like to get off carbonation completely eventually, but the first step is getting off of caffeine.

Honestly...I drink it like I have an I.V. stuck in me and it's so unhealthy for me. My affinity for Dr. Pepper, Cherry Coke, Mountain Dew is way out of hand.

I used to be fairly athletic. Loved to play basketball, could jump out of the gym, could spar and train for long periods of time with the style of karate I've learned and could run for awhile...etc...etc..etc...and now that's gone kaput cause I've let myself go for too long. It's my own fault like I've said and now I've got to rectify it.
Diet Dr. Pepper isn't bad. And Pepsi Jazz is the nectar of the Gods.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I've never been a big consumer of caffienated drinks so I can't really commiserate or offer any advice. I think I've had a Coke about 5 times in the last 15 years. Just drinking a single Coke in the afternoon is enough to keep me up all night.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to shake my head in amazement that anyone would give up the beautiful taste of caffeinated drinks. I would not quit cold turkey (have one drink or two drinks a day for a few weeks and then cut it down even more). Or, switch to diet drinks even if you don't like the taste and then slowly cut down.

Coke Zero is fabulous as well as Diet Pepsi Lime. I guess we need to start another diet drink recommendations list like we did last year. On a sidenote, good for you to try and give it up. I am a long ways away from being able to do that...my chance of ever reaching that goal goes down the tube if I can end up getting a coke machine put into my kitchen island.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Rocky: my husband, Flash, has the same problem when he tries to drop caffeine. Terrible migrane-like headaches. So much so that Barbara has occasionally been served the "not today, dear, I have a headache" line.

In any case. The doctor recommended the use of caffeine pills to make the transition easier. That is, cut the drinks out altogether, then use the caffeine pills to gradually taper off the stimulant. I don't really know anything about this, though, and I'd suggest you find a reputable source where you can read about it, or talk to your doc.

But in any case, perhaps this would allow you to immediately cut the soft drink calories without suffering the headaches.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I thought Pepsi Jazz was the bomb until I tried Coke Zero and Coke Zero Cherry.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #19
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Coke and Diet Coke taste so differently that there is no doubt which is which. But IMO Diet Dr. Pepper tastes the same as Dr. Pepper.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Coke and Diet Coke taste so differently that there is no doubt which is which. But IMO Diet Dr. Pepper tastes the same as Dr. Pepper.
I can taste a huge difference between Diet DP and Regular DP.

Same goes for just about all diet drinks. Except Coke Zero is the closest I've found. Maybe I should sue myself.