cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #11
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

My technique: get tonsillitis so you can't swallow food. I lost 25 lbs. in the last month and am below 200 lbs. for the first time in years.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I once went on a diet where I severely limited my fat intake and cut out virtually all sugar. I lost 30 lbs. in 3 months. And I kept it off pretty good, until I started eating Ding Dongs again. I also noticed a difference when I switched to diet soda - even more when I drink more water than anything.

I think a big key is to limit your appetite - don't feel like you have to finish your entire plate - I always try to leave a little - make sure I don't eat as much as I really want.

I think when people ask about good diets, they're really asking how to lose weight without limiting fats and sugars. Let me know if anyone discovers that method.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Pig out on whole fruits, especially citrus. They fill your stomach, help to satiate sugar cravings, and scrub you out. BUt stay away from juices, as they're nearly as fattening as soda, and have none of the benefits of whole fruits.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Answers to questions.

Eating more frequently spreads the calories over a period where they are absorbed better and used. If you consume much more than you will use in a short time, you risk "storage", or fat building.

Many guys in the 160 lb category can absorb only 300 calories per hour. So if you consume 1000 calories as opposed to 500, you get more absorption, more direct input and less waste and storage.

Example, during an Ironman, I know approximately how many calories I need to absorb on the ride and run. I'm usually at a deficit at the end of an Ironman. However, unless I use high fibre I won't need to defecate. If you are efficient, you won't defecate as much.

Secondly, carbonation. I haven't researched it, so my understandings could be wrong, but carbonation affects oxygenation in the liver and slows metabolism down. Before races I go off sodas altogether and feel better. Caffeine is a diurectic, drying you out, exposing to risk of kidney stones and accelerating unnecessarily your heart rate.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
There is a Jamba Juice 3 1/2 miles from home, so I walked there for lunch and it was a 7-mile round trip.

I hear that in the first week it is not uncommon for men to lose a pound a day, but after that you don't want to lose more than 2 lbs in a week.

Two questions:

1) Giving up sugar and soda is a given, but what about Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Mountain Dew? Are there other things in regular sodas besides the sugar that are bad for you?

2) I've been told to stick with high protein foods, like fat free cottage cheese, beef jerky, and tuna fish with no condiments (right out of the can). Peanut butter is loaded with protein, but is high in fat; however I always thought peanut butter has a "good" kind of fat. Are there other "fat" foods that are good for you?
1. Carbonation is pretty not-good for you overall but I don't know if it impacts weight loss/gain.

2. I'd skip the jerky due to salt but otherwise protein is good. Skippy has a newer peanut butter out called Skippy Natural. I'm addicted. It's 10,000x better than old style natural peanut butter, and it's got no trans fat. Salmon is another food that is fatty but in a good way.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

One strange thing about carbonation which may be untrue, but I heard somewhere is that although, you decrease the ability of your blood to carry oxygen, it also causes your body to retain water, hence bloating and increased body fat.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what i have done i am down roughly 75lbs since November for myself and 50lbs for my wife.

1. High protein diet, i eat lots of beef jerky (original is the best, the others have a lot of sugars and more carbs than you would think), chicken in the can, tuna, chicken breast (i eat at least one of these a day, grill up the george foreman takes about 5 minutes total.) egg whites.

2. Low Carbs- i try to stay away from white breads, cereal, sugar, and anything else high in carbs. A few things we do eat that still have some carbs, carb control tortillas, whole grain or wheat breads and my wife still loves total cereal.

3. Calorie control- like Meanie said if you watch your calories it will help with your carbs. I read that your daily caloric intake if you want to lose 1.5lbs a week is your body weight multiplied by 7 but not to exceed 2000 calories. This has worked extremely well and it is not hard to figure out.

4. Excercise- i lift weights at least 4 times a week and do at least 30 minutes of cardio (usually more) 3 times a week. Be sure to try and mix it up as much as possible as it can become boring and hard to stay on track. I switch up my lifting workout every couple of weeks as well.

5.Think before you eat- this may sound stupid but before i go out to lunch, or make a snack, before i do anything that involves eating i think about it, for example if i am going to go out to lunch with a few guys from the office, i will think of a place that has something healthy and will ask if it is alright if we go there, no one ever seems to mind. Also if you are going to make something to eat at home dont just open the fridge and stare you are more likely to grab something you dont want, so plan on what you are going to eat before you open the fridge.

6. Cheating is not a bad thing- I have never splurged and gone crazy, however if you go completely cold turkey and say that you will never have a piece of candy again the chances are slim that you are going to stick to it. Their is a reason you need to lose weight my guess is self control is not one of your strong points. So eat that piece of candy then when you work out go for an extra minute or two.

7. Set goals- I am a strong believer in goals in all aspects of life, but especially in weight loss. Dont just set a general goal, like i want to lose 30 lbs. Set specific date/time goals for when you want to lose it by, and what you are going to do to lose it. Also break the goal up in to smaller parts. For me i had one "check point" on March 1st, my next one is June 1st. The ultimate goal seems very unattainable if you look at it all at once, but if you break it up it is very achievable. Make sure however you set realistic goals that can be reached.

Now that i have written a novel on weight loss, take it for what its worth i still have a ton of work to do, but this is what i have been doing and its worked very well.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #18
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
1. Carbonation is pretty not-good for you overall but I don't know if it impacts weight loss/gain.

2. I'd skip the jerky due to salt but otherwise protein is good. Skippy has a newer peanut butter out called Skippy Natural. I'm addicted. It's 10,000x better than old style natural peanut butter, and it's got no trans fat. Salmon is another food that is fatty but in a good way.
Yeah, I don't know if carbonation affects weight gain either, but it probably will affect your exercise performance.

And about the Skippy natural-- even though it has no transfat, I think it does have hydrogenated oil. The natural kind (where the oil separates) is non-hydrogenated, so it's better for you. I bought the Skippy natural once, then figured out it had added sugar and palm (or coconut oil) added in.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Yeah, I don't know if carbonation affects weight gain either, but it probably will affect your exercise performance.

And about the Skippy natural-- even though it has no transfat, I think it does have hydrogenated oil. The natural kind (where the oil separates) is non-hydrogenated, so it's better for you. I bought the Skippy natural once, then figured out it had added sugar and palm (or coconut oil) added in.
Yeah. It doesn't have hydrogenated oil (it uses palm oil) but it does have sugar. It's not actually natural peanut butter. Pretty clever on their part. But the sugar content is lower than regular peanut butters, no hydrogenated oils, and it tastes sooooooooo good, that it's good enough for me! (We Gordons are big-time peanut butter consumers!)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

We buy Smuckers. It's just peanuts and salt. You can find it at Wal-Mart and it's not too expensive. We are nuts for peanut butter around here. We'll eat it straight out of the jar, which is not something you should do, particularly if you are trying to lose weight.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote