cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diet tips?

I gained 21 lbs this school year, from 176 to 197. BAH! (I am 5'10"). My biggest problem was I had little time to exercise. But today was the last day of finals, and I have 8 weeks before summer classes begin, and want to use that time getting back in shape.

Any diet tips for losing 21 lbs of fat, not muscle? Thanks. I actually enjoy exercise and prefer being outdoors rather than in a gym, but just haven't had any free time for several months.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots but you haven't given us enough information.

How many meals do you consume?

Have you used the weight calibration to determine how many calories you consume during exercise, and how many calories you can absorb during exercise?

If you want to lose weight, you must burn more than you consume. Simple.

If you wish to ensure you're maximizing your calories, you need to identify foods you will eat, but 40.40.20 ratio, of protein, carbs and fat is a good simple ratio for exercise and weight loss.

More meals, smaller portions is better.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I gained 21 lbs this school year, from 176 to 197. BAH! (I am 5'10"). My biggest problem was I had little time to exercise. But today was the last day of finals, and I have 8 weeks before summer classes begin, and want to use that time getting back in shape.

Any diet tips for losing 21 lbs of fat, not muscle? Thanks. I actually enjoy exercise and prefer being outdoors rather than in a gym, but just haven't had any free time for several months.
my advice isn't as high tech as Archaea's, but some simple things to keep in mind that will help...

Don't eat after 8:00 (or 7 if you're crazy)... drink lots of water... I'm doing something everyday whether it's riding my bike or going for a run.. I'm just trying to be as active as possible. Also, I'm eating smaller portions and listening to my body - meaning I used to eat until my plate was clean, now I stop eating when my body says it is satisfied.. I've also stopped eating fast food and soda. I used to be a Wendy's maniac...

Hope some of that helps.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

You really don't have to do a whole lot. Just go to CVS and get some diet pills, follow the directions and you're good to go.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Look at what you did, 4ever! You went and offended the cycling gods and we got us a new forum!

I'd say cut all sugared drinks if you haven't already. Easy way to axe a bunch of empty calories.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple, non-scientific way.

Reduce portion sizes. Eat when satisfied not busting at seems. Eliminate all sugared drinks.

Eat more frequently.

Eliminate all white breads.

Eliminate all fast food.

Eliminate desserts.

Snack on fruits, not prepared snacks, or tuna (your neighbors will love you).

If you do these things, I imagine you'd lose weight. Imagine what you'd do if you added an hour of exercise every day.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Some of my techniques:

- Take dietary fiber. This helps you eat less, helps keeps you regular, and helps lowers your cholesterol - a virtual wonder-substance. Metamucil ain't just for old people any more.
- Eat breakfast. When I skip breakfast then I'm ravenous at lunch and ravenous at dinner as well. When I eat breakfast I find that I'm not so ravenous at the later meals in the day. I'm currently on a 1200/1500/1800 calorie rotation. I rotate calories so as to not decrease my metabolism too much and so as to avoid the tendency to get ravenous and "snarfy" that occurs when on a reduced calorie diet for too long. On my 1200 days I have 200 calories for breakfast, 300 for lunch, and 700 for dinner. On 1500 days it is Breakfast 400, Lunch 300, Dinner 800. On 1800 days it is Breakfast 400, Lunch 300, Dinner 1100.
- Chew slowly, take little bites. No really - I'm serious here. One of my historical problems is that I wolf my food down. I end up eating double helpings before my brain has relayed the message that I'm full. By eating slower I've found that I feel full after just one portion intead of having seconds or thirds.
- I don't stick to some special kind of diet (i.e. low carb, low-fat, etc.). If you strictly count calories then you'll naturally start avoiding high-carb stuff because it is just too expensive from a calorie standpoint to make it worth eating. The problem comes when you don't strictly count the calories - 50 for mayo, 110 for an ounce of cheese, etc. 100 for half a chocolate-chip cookie, etc. The next thing you know you're easily 500 calories over your daily limit. The downside of calorie-counting is that it is a hassle and takes a lot of effort. It's also virtually impossible to do if you eat out a lot so if you eat out a lot then you may be better off with some type of specific diet plan.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Eat more frequently.
I've heard that before... what does that do?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Eating more frequently, smaller meals, makes your body continue to work on digesting and burning food and energy. Archaea, please add to this.

I have lost 20 pounds since the start of the year by: exercising more (running about 3 miles a day, walking more on top of that as well) and by eating better. I cut out the candy during weekdays, I don't eat many burgers and fries anymore as well. I will not eat after 7pm (because when I used to, it was usually ice cream, candies, etc.). I also eat all three meals...but I will have a few snacks midmorning and midafternoon (like some peanuts or string cheese).
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a Jamba Juice 3 1/2 miles from home, so I walked there for lunch and it was a 7-mile round trip.

I hear that in the first week it is not uncommon for men to lose a pound a day, but after that you don't want to lose more than 2 lbs in a week.

Two questions:

1) Giving up sugar and soda is a given, but what about Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Mountain Dew? Are there other things in regular sodas besides the sugar that are bad for you?

2) I've been told to stick with high protein foods, like fat free cottage cheese, beef jerky, and tuna fish with no condiments (right out of the can). Peanut butter is loaded with protein, but is high in fat; however I always thought peanut butter has a "good" kind of fat. Are there other "fat" foods that are good for you?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote