cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #31
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The punishment wasn't sufficient for any of the involved parties. The girls should get shipped to a convent and the boy who passed them along should get strung up by his testicles with the receivers as witnesses. This story makes me ill.
I could go along with that punishment!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That's Archea And Archea struggles to find anything positive to say about partnership in marriage
Theoretically speaking a partnership in marriage is the perfect ideal, but since women exercise all true power ruthlessly, pragmatics dictate a differeing approach. If the idyllic can be found, then equality should be the norm.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #33
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
What authority is that? We get to decide what to do for Sharing Time? We plan the ward potluck? We are help mates. We have the supporting role. I'm not complaining. That's just how it is.
I will grant theological differences in authority (I'm not a big fan and would be happy to see it change). Also, I will grant clear differences in authority as you move-up the leadership chain and that this may be a problem in and of itself for some/many woman (I would be happy if this was changed as well). However, I am not sure there is really a big difference in terms of practical authority between a typical male and a typical female in the church. Most of us do something equivalent or less important than deciding what to do in sharing time. Less than 1.5% of all male members are in the following positions: General Authority, Mission President, Stake President, Stake Presidency Counselor, Bishop, or Bishopric Counselor. For anybody outside of the 1.5% it seems the differences in practical authority are pretty trivial? I wouldn't describe my practical authority as more expansive than choosing what to do for sharing time and this is true for the vast majority of all men in the church.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-02-2007 at 10:23 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I will grant theological differences in authority (I'm not a big fan and would be happy to see it change). Also, I will grant clear differences in authority as you move-up the leadership chain and that this may be a problem in and of itself for some/many woman (I would be happy if this changed as well). However, I am not sure there is really a big difference in terms of practical authority between a typical male and a typical female in the church. Most of us do something equivalent or less important than deciding what to do in sharing time. Less than 1.5% of all male members are in the following positions: General Authority, Mission President, Stake President, Stake Presidency Counselor, Bishop, or Bishopric Counselor. For anybody outside of the 1.5% it seems the differences in practical authority are pretty trivial? I wouldn't describe my practical authority as more expansive than choosing what to do for sharing time and this is true for the vast majority of all men in the church.
Don't bring sense into this! Women are oppressed and can't be held responsible for their own actions. It was the boy who forced those teenagers to send him lewd pictures. It was the husband who forced his wife to cheat on him.

Additionally we should make sure to always make it look like Men are idiots and Women are the smart ones of the relationship. Behind every good man is a great woman they say...Sitcoms, Media and even humor in General conference ("Men you are lucky to have your wives" comments) are always true.

Solon and I were discussing this last night and he said something funny but true

"the next time someone says I should be soooo grateful to have married my wife I am going to say: nope she is lucky to have me"
Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #35
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Don't bring sense into this! Women are oppressed and can't be held responsible for their own actions. It was the boy who forced those teenagers to send him lewd pictures. It was the husband who forced his wife to cheat on him.

Additionally we should make sure to always make it look like Men are idiots and Women are the smart ones of the relationship. Behind every good man is a great woman they say...Sitcoms, Media and even humor in General conference ("Men you are lucky to have your wives" comments) are always true.

Solon and I were discussing this last night and he said something funny but true

"the next time someone says I should be soooo grateful to have married my wife I am going to say: nope she is lucky to have me"
I don't believe luck is involved.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #36
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I tend to see this as an overcompensation caused by the theological disparity, but I think often the overcompensation ends up ironically being patronizing to both parties.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #37
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I tend to see this as an overcompensation caused by the theological disparity, but I think often the overcompensation ends up ironically being patronizing to both parties.
Totally agree.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #38
Archaea

Quote:
Fantastic point.

Give women the priesthood and we can go back to being louses who think only of money and sex, not necessarily in that order.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #39
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I will grant theological differences in authority (I'm not a big fan and would be happy to see it change). Also, I will grant clear differences in authority as you move-up the leadership chain and that this may be a problem in and of itself for some/many woman (I would be happy if this changed as well). However, I am not sure there is really a big difference in terms of practical authority between a typical male and a typical female in the church. Most of us do something equivalent or less important than deciding what to do in sharing time. Less than 1.5% of all male members are in the following positions: General Authority, Mission President, Stake President, Stake Presidency Counselor, Bishop, or Bishopric Counselor. For anybody outside of the 1.5% it seems the differences in practical authority are pretty trivial? I wouldn't describe my practical authority as more expansive than choosing what to do for sharing time and this is true for the vast majority of all men in the church.
I disagree with the great Pelagius here--might be the first time.

If you tweaked that 1.5% to include only active males and expanded it to include all men who have held in the past, now hold, or will hold in the future any of those callings, I imagine you're moving into a signficant number. The number for females will always be zero.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Could you have said "No"... I am not at fault? I had a friend whose wife was cheating on him with the Maintenance man at their apartment building. The bishop always took the woman's side. I thought there is no way that can be right. I guess yours is another case.
No, because I was at fault for my actions. I take full responsibility and accountability for my actions.

The girl whom I was involved was grown up enough to take her responsibility and accountability as well.

She didn't have the "it's all his fault cause he's the man" attitude because well, quite frankly she initiated it, and was also there. I wasn't strong enough to stop it and I should've been.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-02-2007 at 09:03 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote