cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Nearly all of SU's posts on this board and CB have anti-Mormonism as the motive. His agenda is to belittle anything LDS, BYU, church leaders past and present. He has no belief or moral system himself--or he is constantly switching them when it is convenient to his point. He uses whatever angle he can to oppose every issue, no matter how illogical or inconsistent with prior posts. Just because he can do so skillfully doesn't make the content any different than Rocky's more obtuse approach. I'm not backing Rocky's approach, but your buttkissing of SU is out of place in this instance.
Hmmm. Which of us got the CB death penalty? You must have really been spewing some imoral stuff to get whacked by Jefe.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-04-2006 at 08:28 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #32
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
The only one taking him to task for the quote so far is you. Let it go and talk about the topic.
His whole point of bringing up the topic is to belittle the church in any way, shape or form he can, regardless of topic.

I suggest you get your bullshit meter checked.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #33
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Ah...better not quote him here like that or the un-believing bitter ilk of this board just might take you to task for daring to do so...
You're probably the only one who will suggest that it might have been inappropriate.

Again, I don't entirely disagree with you. I think SU lets his vitrol against the church influence his thinking to a greater extent than is reasonable. You may notice, however, that instead of taking him to task for it, you've ceded to him the moral high ground and made yourself the bigger target.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You're probably the only one who will suggest that it might have been inappropriate.

Again, I don't entirely disagree with you. I think SU lets his vitrol against the church influence his thinking to a greater extent than is reasonable. You may notice, however, that instead of taking him to task for it, you've ceded to him the moral high ground and made yourself the bigger target.
Don't practice psychiatry...it'll give you a headache.

In fact, you actually just gave me a great idea...thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

To the extent my question as to the reasons for the project is viewed as belittling the Church, I apologize. It seemed with all the attaboys a few questions would not have been inappropriate.

I guess trying to understand the reasons for the project is a bad thing nowadays.

I don't see how sometimes acting civilly is buttkissing. Buttkissing seems to be something where one is being obsequious to obtain something. But, strange, as it might seem, I like many of the personalities here, even those with whom I've had heated discussions. I don't sense anybody here is "evil", other having the wrong political point of view , but please explain how sometimes desiring a civil discussion is buttkissing. Your perspectives are equally interesting at times.

I have been involved in development projects so examining, at least superficially, was and is interesting. I had not followed the downtown development issue, as I don't reside in SLC. I hope and pray it works, and that any reason which might cause it to fail, doesn't materialize.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #36
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Hmmm. Which of us got the CB death penalty? You must have really been spewing some imoral stuff to get whacked by Jefe.
I'm not calling you immoral. I'm saying you don't have a defined personal belief or moral system. You change them constantly to make your case. One minute you're a scientist cracking on the ignorant masses who need a God, the next you're talking about your faith in a higher power. The common characteristic is you used both angles to make fun on Mormons.

You'd be happy to know what I said so awful. I implied Samuelson was either inept (bungling things) or immoral (possible secret agenda for BYU football that isn't shared by his employer) over the KW offer/no-hire. My post was censored and I was given a two week ban, and I was insulted by Jefe's moderator. I then told the moderator to kiss my ass.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #37
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
To the extent my question as to the reasons for the project is viewed as belittling the Church, I apologize. It seemed with all the attaboys a few questions would not have been inappropriate.

I guess trying to understand the reasons for the project is a bad thing nowadays.

I don't see how sometimes acting civilly is buttkissing. Buttkissing seems to be something where one is being obsequious to obtain something. But, strange, as it might seem, I like many of the personalities here, even those with whom I've had heated discussions. I don't sense anybody here is "evil", other having the wrong political point of view , but please explain how sometimes desiring a civil discussion is buttkissing. Your perspectives are equally interesting at times.

I have been involved in development projects so examining, at least superficially, was and is interesting. I had not followed the downtown development issue, as I don't reside in SLC. I hope and pray it works, and that any reason which might cause it to fail, doesn't materialize.
It isn't belittling the church. This is a public issue. In fact, it might be the most important issue to SLC in decades. We had all better get used to having some open discussion on the topic. It can only make the end result better. If members approach this as a topic that we can't question (because it is tantamount to questioning the brethren), then the church is in a sad, sad state.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #38
fuegote

fuegote

This thread quickly became pointless chest pounding. Last time I checked contention is of... well, i'm sure you all know. All I read is contention from both sides of the discussion.... or lack of the discussion that used to exist on this thread.

so..... let me try this again....

I wish RSL would have built the stadium in SLC instead of Sandy.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #39
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Nearly all of SU's posts on this board and CB have anti-Mormonism as the motive. His agenda is to belittle anything LDS, BYU, church leaders past and present. He has no belief or moral system himself--or he is constantly switching them when it is convenient to his point. He uses whatever angle he can to oppose every issue, no matter how illogical or inconsistent with prior posts. Just because he can do so skillfully doesn't make the content any different than Rocky's more obtuse approach. I'm not backing Rocky's approach, but your buttkissing of SU is out of place in this instance.
Easy there, Jay. I think you are over-reacting. If you want a perfectly sanitized board from an LDS perspective, go back to CB. (Wait a minute..... you can't do that).

If SU's posts are so illogical and inconsistent, it should be pretty trivial for you to expose them. And I am surprised that you are presumptious enough to so confidently describe his belief system (or lack thereof).

I think you are mischaracterizing SU. Sure, he likes to poke and prod and have fun with us from time to time, but I enjoy having him here. He is educated, articulate, and has a great sense of humor. I am far more offended by some of the insults and personal attacks (see above) tossed around here (ironically, in the name of righteous indignation) than by anything SU has said.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #40
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
This thread quickly became pointless chest pounding. Last time I checked contention is of... well, i'm sure you all know. All I read is contention from both sides of the discussion.... or lack of the discussion that used to exist on this thread.

so..... let me try this again....

I wish RSL would have built the stadium in SLC instead of Sandy.
I agree with you on all counts. I would have loved to have a stadium in downtown SLC. That said, I think an arts district on Main Street would be far better for downtown than a soccer stadium at the fairgrounds. To have both would have been terrific, but sadly unrealistic.

Even so, Sandy isn't too far for soccer! Much better than Rochester...
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote