cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why BYU restricts scholarship on Mormonism

Benjamin Huff, head of the Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology spoke in DC today. He said that in addition to fears that scholarship might embarass the Church, BYU doesn't sponsor much scholarship on Mormonism because the rest of the world doesn't give a rat's tail about Mormons, so such scholarship does nothing to boost BYU's standing.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree that the larger world may not care about *BYU's* LDS research (because it would lack credibility as a dishonest broker), but at the very least it would improve BYU's standing among Mormons who care about LDS history and understanding Mormonism in general.

If we wanted to discuss all the short-sighted things BYU does, we could fill pages and pages.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Those two points are spot on, and Mike's point is also valid.

BYU needs to be prominent in research on topics not necessarily germane to Mormonism so that when it turns its eyes to itself, it will have more credibility. Much of its theological focus is often quite simplistic and not sophisticated enough.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Those two points are spot on, and Mike's point is also valid.

BYU needs to be prominent in research on topics not necessarily germane to Mormonism so that when it turns its eyes to itself, it will have more credibility. Much of its theological focus is often quite simplistic and not sophisticated enough.
He also said a couple of BYU grads went on to Notre Dame to do PhDs in philosophy and became Catholic.

We were too busy building a new society in Utah that left us no time for theology. So when we go up against Catholic theology, which developed over two millennia, we get dwarfed and stomped on.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
He also said a couple of BYU grads went on to Notre Dame to do PhDs in philosophy and became Catholic.

We were too busy building a new society in Utah that left us no time for theology. So when we go up against Catholic theology, which developed over two millennia, we get dwarfed and stomped on.
Becoming Catholic is the last thing I would become. Becoming agnostic would be much more probable.

All I have to do is to think of the Great Borgia and the authority issue makes me laugh that God would still authorize such a church. Now I appreciate the Catholic Church being a repository of great knowledge and its humanitarian efforts but the Great Borgia of about 1492 makes believing in the institution impossible. Rodrigo was his name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Alexander_VI.

More interesting stuff on the papacy.

http://www.christianchronicler.com/h...al_papacy.html

Last edited by Archaea; 02-20-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Our theology is kind of confusing about one very important thing--what does it to take to get to heaven?

Maybe our theology is that a person should always live in a kind of perpetual uncertainty and doubt about their worthiness to be in heaven, short of the miraculous even of ones calling and election made sure.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Becoming Catholic is the last thing I would become. Becoming agnostic would be much more probable.

All I have to do is to think of the Great Borgia and the authority issue makes me laugh that God would still authorize such a church. Now I appreciate the Catholic Church being a repository of great knowledge and its humanitarian efforts but the Great Borgia of about 1492 makes believing in the institution impossible. Rodrigo was his name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Alexander_VI.

More interesting stuff on the papacy.

http://www.christianchronicler.com/h...al_papacy.html
They made a video game out of him?

Quote:
In Assassin's Creed II, Rodrigo Borgia is the main antagonist of the game. His character in the game is voiced by and modeled on Canadian actor Manuel Tadros. He also appears in the accompanying short film Assassin's Creed: Lineage.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Our theology is kind of confusing about one very important thing--what does it to take to get to heaven?
Jeez didn't you have the lesson on the beatitudes today? Eight short verses outline the blueprint for exaltation. The problem with intellectuals is their pride won't allow such a simple explanation. It's like watching Seattle Ute try to comprehend a Top 25 poll; it's the easiest damn thing in the world to read yet he still f***s it up.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, endowment, sealing, endure to the end, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Jeez didn't you have the lesson on the beatitudes today? Eight short verses outline the blueprint for exaltation. The problem with intellectuals is their pride won't allow such a simple explanation. It's like watching Seattle Ute try to comprehend a Top 25 poll; it's the easiest damn thing in the world to read yet he still f***s it up.
That's an inaccurate depiction of what it takes. I could say, "Just be good," but that doesn't really communicate all that's necessary for exaltation. The Beatitudes are certainly more detailed, but to say that they are the blueprint sort of denies the belief that Book of Mormon is necessary for clarification.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote