cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/w...519821785.html
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I haven't read the above, but let's just say it is true. Contrast that to how Americans are dealing with shelling in Baghdad per the Cole article. They don't just start leveling shelters and residential areas.
Nonsense. I think the comparison is poor as the circumstances are very different. Anyway, it's hard to tell the truth in the era of manufactured war imagery.

I think Israel does what it can to avoid civilian casualties (they've apparently dropped leaflets warning Gazans about impending assaults). It already is routinely condemned for legitimately defending itself, there's no reason to compound that by actually targeting innocents. But this is war. If Hamas stops hiding combatants and equipment in schoolyards, probably fewer children will die.

Then again, they may just grow up to die anyway:

Quote:
It just remains be to seen how far the Israelis will go. At what point will it become actual genocide, and how breathtaking will that irony be?
Not that breathtaking. Folks like you have been trying to catch their breath at the supposed "irony" for decades, it's a wonder you haven't all hyperventilated and passed out by now.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-12-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Israel is becoming, slowly but surely, a pariah state.

I think it is looking at a future when only the Huckabees rush to their defense.

Israel is making war on a prison camp, full of men, women, and children. A prison camp of their own making. One wonders, if in the back of their mind, they are thinking the same thing that many evangelical Christians are--are the Palestinians deserving of a "final solution".
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Tex

Quote:
Israel is becoming, slowly but surely, a pariah state.
You are apparently just now catching up to the modern day.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The one-state solution:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...tate-solution/

There will never be two states.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-palestinians/

The surreal thing is that as I was getting ready for work today, I was watching "Judgment at Nuremberg" old movie, that at least in the part I was watching, contained graphic documentary footage of concentration camp atrocities.

Thank goodness there are some Jews (many, actually) who are standing up and saying, "Israel has lost its way."

I've actually read from a commentator that "the Holocaust gives us the right to Israel as a Jewish state" (paraphrased). What strange logic it was and is, that the Holocaust gave the right to oppress, the right to run a system that is in many ways, indistinguishable from apartheid.

And what gives them the right to shout down anyone that says the things I am saying.

History will look at the course of Israel, and consider it one of the greatest tragedies of civilization.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

What, no claim that Hamas had launched rockets from the facility, or next to it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/wo...t.html?_r=1&hp

Did we sell Israel planes, tanks, and other weapons with the intention of them using these machines of war against what is essentially a prison camp?

It's interesting that Israel, not surprisingly, claims that Palestinians have no right to any kind of weaponry. While Hamas says they have the right to "rifles" for their people. It seems very clear that Israelis think Israel has the right to rifles and all other kinds of implements of war. I guess when you consider Gaza as nothing more than a prison camp, it would make sense that Palestinians not be given any right to defend themselves.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
What, no claim that Hamas had launched rockets from the facility, or next to it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/wo...t.html?_r=1&hp

Did we sell Israel planes, tanks, and other weapons with the intention of them using these machines of war against what is essentially a prison camp?

It's interesting that Israel, not surprisingly, claims that Palestinians have no right to any kind of weaponry. While Hamas says they have the right to "rifles" for their people. It seems very clear that Israelis think Israel has the right to rifles and all other kinds of implements of war. I guess when you consider Gaza as nothing more than a prison camp, it would make sense that Palestinians not be given any right to defend themselves.
I guess I am just too impatient. Give it a few minutes, and the Israelis will come up with the proper justification in their media (which they banned from Gaza).

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I thought I already posted this morning, but I guess I messed up.

Again, I ask, just as Max Blumenthal asks, what prevents Israel from taking this to its logical end, and perpetrating its own holocaust against the Palestinians?

Morality?

*note: I would guess Tex would describe Mr. Blumental as a "self-loathing Jew". When a member of a group questions the ethics and morality of his own group, he is "self-loathing." It is a way of rejecting the argument without addressing it.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Thank goodness there are some Jews (many, actually) who are standing up and saying, "Israel has lost its way."
A new poll shows 94% of Israelis strongly support the Gaza operation, and 92% think it helps Israel's security.

Quote:
*note: I would guess Tex would describe Mr. Blumental as a "self-loathing Jew". When a member of a group questions the ethics and morality of his own group, he is "self-loathing." It is a way of rejecting the argument without addressing it.
The questions themselves don't constitute "self-loathing," but the attitude. I'll post a nice definition sometime. People who are self-loathing don't present arguments worth addressing.

Parenthetically, I wonder if the number of self-loathing Jews is higher or lower per capita than the number of self-loathing Mormons.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young