cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Pounded by the Pavement

After running probably 75% of my miles this summer and fall on the dirt and crushed gravel, I recently did two runs on a paved running trail. The first one 2 weeks ago was 17 miles, this past weekend was 12.

I have felt really well all year long. No hint of injury whatsoever.

Now, I'm afraid that first 17 mile pavement run may have ruined me for the year. I've had pretty bad shin splints for the past 2 weeks. I've also now got something that feels either like a Mortons neuroma or capsulitis on the bottom of the other foot.

Marathon is scheduled for just over 6 weeks from now.

Am I doomed to be a DNF now?

Also, a little unsolicited advice from our more experienced runners - because the marathon is on a paved bike path, I feel like I need to do more pavement running at some point to accomodate to the surface. Would you recommend doing shorter runs (6-8 miles) on the pavement or the longer runs (13-20 miles)?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend saving your knees and quitting longdistance running. Your body is speaking to you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

I would say leave the pavement till the race and then you can take 2 weeks off to recover. It is not like hills that you need to train for. I would say that if the pounding is getting to you then avoid it.

I have 4 weeks till my half marathon and my ankle / shin is hurting pretty bad, but after a few miles it dulls. Doing 15 last saturday was tough, but I did do the first 13.1 in under 1:40. Woo hoo.

I plan on suffering till my race and then giving it all I have.

For the neuroma, I had one of those a few years ago. IT was cool cause it did that clicking thing that you can do to diagnose it. I ended up going to the foot doctor, and getting a pad that went on my insert that helped to disperse the ball area of my foot.

Come on tough it out. Stress fractures are only temporary.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm telling you, the football field at the college will do wonders for those shins.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

This is why you see old guys stop running and buy a bike. Good luck and I hope you heal up in time for your race.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote