cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

View Poll Results: Was HFN being sarcastic?
Yes 17 89.47%
No 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't need TIC's. Does a real trapeze artist need a net?
If you were a trapeze artist, you'd be dead.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I don't need TIC's. Does a real trapeze artist need a net?
The only person that needs a net:

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

What an odd thread.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #24
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The only person that needs a net:

Only when his fun is a cello.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Only when his fun is a cello.
smooth as butter, skippy.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You guys are all unnecessarily hostile. I took HFN at his word. This is the kind of thing that someone prone to sophomoric humor of a particularly unintelligent type would find funny. (See, e.g., T Blue's post.) Moreover, I was influenced by Levin's conclusion (that preceded my post by a long time) that he was being serious. I was also misled by HFN's avatar, which seemed to depict someone prone to idiotic sophomoric humor.

So I pointed out some salient subtleties that might be lost on someone prone to idiotic sophomoric humor. (See T Blue's post.) For example, that the woman was likely a victim of abuse by her husband, who was filming, and the son's experience must have been horrifying.

HFN, now chastened, responded that he was being "sarcastic," making fun of Levin. I still don't get the sarcasm. How is it possibly sarcastic to say it's "the greatest" story ever? Perhaps had he said this is a great family story from the great state of Oklahoma (still lame, yes) it would have sounded like sarcasm, but not what he said. It sounded, to an objective mind, like a lame attempt at Animal House humor.

If he was making fun of Levin, how so? If he was posting a photo-shopped Gorilla being sent to the guillotine, I would agree. But I've not seen Levin come out againt bestiality, not until this thread.

Why didn't he reveal the sarcastic intent until my more explicit condemnation. (If he was making fun of Levin's serious disposition this was a sick way to do it, like leaving a boiling rabbit on his stove.)

In any event, I didn't call bullshit on HFN's ex post fact explanation. Levin did. I said nothing. I just posted a poll to see what everyone else thought. And because it was SU's poll everyone has their back up, feeling sorry for HFN, who probably doesn't deserve it. You've treated me unfairly. (I'm not trying to be Waters, I said today he's irreplaceable.)
Ha, Ha, Ha, SU with an "objective" mind? LOL That is funny.

Gawd I would hate to be a member of your household, I imagine it something along the lines of a death type concentration camp.

You are so wound up tight I wonder if your wife were to sneak a chunk of coal in the crack of your ass she might make a diamond.

Sophmoric humor? Only at your expense SU.

PS aren't you a lawyer? What about this ladies civil rights? What has she done to hurt anyone? 10 years ago the laws on the books concerning morality prohibited sodomy in just about every state, now the homosexuals need protection in the bedroom from those laws so they are gone. What about this ladies protection, shouldn't she have those same protections from outdated "morality" laws?

Maybe she doesn't believe that performing sex with dogs is wrong, who are the "moral" people to say she is wrong, after all what she does in the bedroom is nobody elses business, right?

I think she should get a lawyer and demand her civil rights be taken seriously.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #27
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

All your comparisons of homosexuality to bestiality, as if there is only one justification for outlawing both and once the justification for one (homosexuality) is rejected, then so too must the justification for the other (bestiality) is an old canard that didn't work for Scalia in his Lawrence dissent, and it's not working for you. It's making you sound like ignoramuses, frankly, and a little hateful.

I point out a news article "that nothing could make me happier" (obviously hyperbole to stress that it really did lift my spirits to see the discovery of a whole population of gorillas), and HFN says he can't "imagine" finding a "greater" news story. If he wanted to make fun of me, then he should have used the same wording. His phrasing is way off.

And bestiality versus discovery of a population of an endangered species? The only thing they have in common is animals.

If HFN was trying to mock, he did a poor job, and those of you who think he was successful, at least you appreciate cheap work, I guess.

And about these accusations of my serious persona or that SU is wound up tight . . . It's the old bully refrain on the playground. Unoriginal, predictable, and easy. Just like bestiality jokes.

Show me something funny, and I'll laugh. I've laughed at lots of things on this board.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Ha, Ha, Ha, SU with an "objective" mind? LOL That is funny.

Gawd I would hate to be a member of your household, I imagine it something along the lines of a death type concentration camp.

You are so wound up tight I wonder if your wife were to sneak a chunk of coal in the crack of your ass she might make a diamond.

Sophmoric humor? Only at your expense SU.

PS aren't you a lawyer? What about this ladies civil rights? What has she done to hurt anyone? 10 years ago the laws on the books concerning morality prohibited sodomy in just about every state, now the homosexuals need protection in the bedroom from those laws so they are gone. What about this ladies protection, shouldn't she have those same protections from outdated "morality" laws?

Maybe she doesn't believe that performing sex with dogs is wrong, who are the "moral" people to say she is wrong, after all what she does in the bedroom is nobody elses business, right?

I think she should get a lawyer and demand her civil rights be taken seriously.
You're an ignoramus.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You're an ignoramus.
These type of death struggles, affectionately known as Cali-Tex Celebrity Death Matches, are so entertaining, carry on.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
All your comparisons of homosexuality to bestiality, as if there is only one justification for outlawing both and once the justification for one (homosexuality) is rejected, then so too must the justification for the other (bestiality) is an old canard that didn't work for Scalia in his Lawrence dissent, and it's not working for you. It's making you sound like ignoramuses, frankly, and a little hateful.

I point out a news article "that nothing could make me happier" (obviously hyperbole to stress that it really did lift my spirits to see the discovery of a whole population of gorillas), and HFN says he can't "imagine" finding a "greater" news story. If he wanted to make fun of me, then he should have used the same wording. His phrasing is way off.

And bestiality versus discovery of a population of an endangered species? The only thing they have in common is animals.

If HFN was trying to mock, he did a poor job, and those of you who think he was successful, at least you appreciate cheap work, I guess.

And about these accusations of my serious persona or that SU is wound up tight . . . It's the old bully refrain on the playground. Unoriginal, predictable, and easy. Just like bestiality jokes.

Show me something funny, and I'll laugh. I've laughed at lots of things on this board.
Lighten up, Francis.

If your goal is to excoriate HFN even if it was just a poorly executed joke, then congrats, mission accomplished. If you are disgusted by the described behavior, theb you have not been so successful, as this follow on thread only increases the number of persons reading the article and encourages comments about whether it is or is not criminal. There is an old saying I learned in a different scenario that says "if you vote for sh*t like this, you only encourage sh*t like this.". This thread is like a vote for it. If you or SU are disgusted by the described behavior, as I am, I think it would have been much better to ignore HFN's post rather than highlight it. IMO..