cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
No, no, a thousand times no. As you have questioned the cussedness of my dear departed grandfather I have no choice but to defend him.

Google Earth

44 degrees 31'50.76" North
107 degrees 46'15.76" West

It is, admittedly, a shadow of its former self, but there's still a goodly amount of junk there. Due north, down the tree lined lane, is the neighbor in question.
Geez, couldn't you have just sent me a link?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #22
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

No, no I couldn't of.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, no I couldn't of.
So, your good Grandfather farmed dirt, I see. A true salt of the earth kind of guy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #24
landpoke

He was more of a hobby dirt farmer, raising a little hay for his horses. His day job was in the oil patch.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
He was more of a hobby dirt farmer, raising a little hay for his horses. His day job was in the oil patch.
Ok, oil is in your blood. I like to see family traditions carried on.

My grandpa had a lot of alfalfa and a lot of dirt. And lots and lots of milk.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #26
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My grandpa had a lot of alfalfa and a lot of dirt. And lots and lots of milk.
Big Boobs Grandma, huh? As my dad likes to say, "A milky a day keeps the doctor away."
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 AM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Big Boobs Grandma, huh? As my dad likes to say, "A milky a day keeps the doctor away."
Funny, but no.

Grandpa had 400 cows.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #28
landpoke

Quote:
Funny, but no.

Grandpa had 400 cows.
Yowza, dairy farming is back breaking work today. I can't imagine what it was like back when you didn't just hook them up to the vacuums.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #29
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Funny, but no.

Grandpa had 400 cows.
I knew I liked you for some reason, il Pad. My Gramps had 300 head. He died from accidentally stabbing himself in the thigh and being too stubborn to go to the doc. A blood clot got loose and killed him.

Grandma died at 3 AM one day, on her way to milk the cows for the 1,678,584th time in her life.

Although I do have to admit, I thank God daily that my Dad moved away from that place. I spent summers helping Granny milk the cows, and hated every minute of it. Mostly because I always got stuck shoveling the cow crap out of the holding pen twice a day.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke
Yowza, dairy farming is back breaking work today. I can't imagine what it was like back when you didn't just hook them up to the vacuums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug
I knew I liked you for some reason, il Pad. My Gramps had 300 head. He died from accidentally stabbing himself in the thigh and being too stubborn to go to the doc. A blood clot got loose and killed him.

Grandma died at 3 AM one day, on her way to milk the cows for the 1,678,584th time in her life.

Although I do have to admit, I thank God daily that my Dad moved away from that place. I spent summers helping Granny milk the cows, and hated every minute of it. Mostly because I always got stuck shoveling the cow crap out of the holding pen twice a day.
Yes, it's the hardest I've ever worked in my life. Hooking the cows to the vacuums was bad enough, but making sure the grain bins were full for the cows to eat and cleaning out the holding pens sucked.

My parents would send me to work on the farm for disciplinary reasons as a teenager. Getting up at 3:00 AM was bad enough, but Grandpa's way of waking me up was just awful - the house was heated by a coal furnace and he'd just bang on the pipes with a wrench.

One thing it did do was make me appreciate just what my Grandpa did for a living. That is hard work - and he did it until he was too old to work, which was about 88 years of age. I never knew until he passed away that he had an MBA, but chose to do that kind of work. Remembering all this reminds me of just how much I suck.