cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think they should excommunicate Janice Perry and Lex deAzavedo for years of crappy music that people undoubtedly associate with the church.
LOL!
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think they should excommunicate Janice Perry and Lex deAzavedo for years of crappy music that people undoubtedly associate with the church.
That's a movement I could probably support.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So much for only casting out only unrepentant sinners, but still fellowshiping them. Now we excommunicate people who publish pictures of guys chests.
This is what I don't really get. I agree that it was in poor taste, but what sin has been committed here? What moral wrong has occurred?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Only if you define "welcoming them at church" to mean telling them they can sit quietly in the corner and not speak. Only if it means they can walk in the door but aren't deemed worthy to pass out the program or bring the treats for nursery. If this is your idea of welcoming them to attend church, then yea, they are welcome. Welcome to sit and drink a big ol' can of shut the hell up.
We've already covered this, Adam. One doesn't need to hold a calling or be able to speak from the pulpit to be ministered to.

Quote:
That is true, people everywhere were probably associating that calendar with the church. I mean, seriously Tex? I think they should excommunicate Janice Perry and Lex deAzavedo for years of crappy music that people undoubtedly associate with the church.

Maybe they got back there and said what can we do to call the maximum amount of attention to this thing? How can we martyr this guy and reinforce some negative stereotypes about the church? Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
Hey, you asked. Sorry, was that a rhetorical question? You'd prefer that I adopt the Adam-paranoia approach and suggest the entire high council was populated by homophobes exercising unrighteous dominion?

My guess is, had the guy published his calendar and left the church out of it, they likely would've left him alone. It was the overt marketing association with the church and its missionary movement that got him into hot water.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Obviously we don't know the reasoning of the council, but the handbook cites three purposes of discipline (from memory): (1) to save the transgressor, (2) to protect the innocent, and (3) to protect the good name of the church.

I suspect that this situation was precipitated by the need for the 3rd.
Exactly why I feel like speaking your beliefs is an action, and one that can and should be disciplined (when appropriate) when you are a member of the Church. Protecting the name of the Church is important. It's protection for all members.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this leads me to believe that a LDS photographer doing boudoir photography for clients could be excommunicated.

or that a female LDS actress who stars in a movie where she wears a bikini could be brought before a disciplinary council (as apparently some of the models in the calendar were).

well, you made a calendar where guys had their shirts off and talked about theiri missions and testimony. You don't pay tithing, you don't wear garments, it's pretty much a slam-dunk case of excommunication. ????

Feminists, gays, now calendar producers. What's next? Mailmen? Daycare workers?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is what I don't really get. I agree that it was in poor taste, but what sin has been committed here? What moral wrong has occurred?
My guess is some local authority told him to knock it off. He told them to kiss off.

He should have been a man about it and just asked to have his records removed. Instead he made a spectacle of himself and IMHO, the church also gave grounds to those who see an FLDS component alive and well.

Why don't these people just politely resign from the fold.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Feminists, gays, now calendar producers. What's next? Mailmen? Daycare workers?
Trolls who run message boards.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Trolls who run message boards.
They can't ex me. They don't have anyone to be scoutmaster.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I suspect that this situation was precipitated by the need for the 3rd.
Backfired. DC brought more negative publicity. Should have let it die natural death.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote