cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #201
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I'm only miserable b/c I'm in an office building right now instead of out West enjoying our public lands.

Lamespoke is miserable b/c he hates poetry, beauty, life, and truth. He feeds his gut; that's all.
I dunno. Landpoke's appreciation for all that is clear to me.

Ever thought that his enjoyment of federal lands really does come from helping to provide you easterners with the oil you depend on?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #202
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
As I said in the other thread I'm quite content.
What I do despise, however, is hypocrisy and I believe it's the height of hypocrisy to pretend humans, at a base level, care about anything other than themselves.
It's because I care so much about myself that I make the decisions I do. You define "usefulness" so differently than I do. You define it with your gut, or, as you said, "at a base level."

Caring about endangered species is good for you. It makes you less selfish.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #203
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm not up on how things are done in cloudcuckoo land. Here in the real world all great things are accomplished throught deliberate selfishness.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #204
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I haven't followed this thread too closely but let me see if I can help poke make his point. I was taking a deposition of a witness once in an environmental class action we were defending against a pulp mill in Alaska. I asked the witness to list the environmental groups in which she was an active member (to establish bias). She listed a litany, practically every one you could think of. Then she paused and pointedly said she didn't belong to the Wilderness Society. I asked her why, and she said her husband commercial fished and the Wilderness Society was opposed to fishing in Glacier Bay National Park. That said it all.

Anyone who claims they'd sacrifice their livelihood or even take a pay cut for the stellar sea lions or the spotted owl or old growth is probably a liar. I know Levin likes to think of himself as for endangered species, but he'd trade them for money. It's all mental. He has his price. So does Waters, I venture.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #205
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I haven't followed this thread too closely but let me see if I can help poke make his point. I was taking a deposition of a witness once in an environmental class action we were defending against a pulp mill in Alaska. I asked the witness to list the environmental groups in which she was an active member (to establish bias). She listed a litany, practically every one you could think of. Then she paused and pointedly said she didn't belong to the Wilderness Society. I asked her why, and she said her husband commercial fished and the Wilderness Society was opposed to fishing in Glacier Bay National Park. That said it all.

Anyone who claims they'd sacrifice their livelihood or even take a pay cut for the stellar sea lions or the spotted owl or old growth is probably a liar. I know Levin likes to think of himself as for endangered species, but he'd trade them for money. But it's all mental. He has his price. So does Waters, I venture.
Like I said before, you defend corporate interests against the environment and conservation. It says as much on your bio.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #206
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Like I said before, you defend corporate interests against the environment and conservation. It says as much on your bio.
Not all of us can be crusading researchers without bias or guile. Isn't the crux to have a debate, not to decide our economy should always lose?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #207
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not all of us can be crusading researchers without bias or guile. Isn't the crux to have a debate, not to decide our economy should always lose?
Not all of us choose to buy chef-prepared dinners every night on the backs of pollution and environmental destruction.

I hope SU's kids know what he did someday. He got rich off Goliath, and put a bullet in David's head.

SU never could stand an underdog, never could handle the sneer of the elites.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #208
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Not all of us choose to buy chef-prepared dinners every night on the backs of pollution and environmental destruction.

I hope SU's kids know what he did someday. He got rich off Goliath, and put a bullet in David's head.

SU never could stand an underdog, never could handle the sneer of the elites.
You're lying.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #209
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I asked her why, and she said her husband commercial fished and the Wilderness Society was opposed to fishing in Glacier Bay National Park. That said it all.

Anyone who claims they'd sacrifice their livelihood or even take a pay cut for the stellar sea lions or the spotted owl or old growth is probably a liar. I know Levin likes to think of himself as for endangered species, but he'd trade them for money. It's all mental. He has his price. So does Waters, I venture.
I read that the Hay's Spring Amphipod is endangered in DC. I think it's time to take out the Wilderness Society headquarters to revive its habitat...
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #210
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
I read that the Hay's Spring Amphipod is endangered in DC. I think it's time to take out the Wilderness Society headquarters to revive its habitat...
Sure, whatever you say. The respect for life is worth it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote