cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default Sd_ute

I was talking to him over on Cougarboard, and have invited him here in the past, but after our latest boardmail, he is too good for the likes of us.

This year at Oceanside 1.2 ironman he did a 5:08. Damn.

Then he also ran a 19:09 in a 5 k. What the hell. And a 1:22 in a half marathon.

THe guy makes me look bad. and slow. not that I need much help.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be that heavy gold cross around your neck that is slowing you down.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I was talking to him over on Cougarboard, and have invited him here in the past, but after our latest boardmail, he is too good for the likes of us.

This year at Oceanside 1.2 ironman he did a 5:08. Damn.

Then he also ran a 19:09 in a 5 k. What the hell. And a 1:22 in a half marathon.

THe guy makes me look bad. and slow. not that I need much help.
That's weird. For a 1:22 I would have thought he'd do better than that. Plus how old is he?

We'll see how fast he goes when his bones and joints creek.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's weird. For a 1:22 I would have thought he'd do better than that. Plus how old is he?

We'll see how fast he goes when his bones and joints creek.
He is a young guy like me. He did stipulate that the 1:22 was on a purely downhill course.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
He is a young guy like me. He did stipulate that the 1:22 was on a purely downhill course.
My brother who is not the athlete you two are, has done a 4:22, but he's never broken 1:22 on a half. Sadly 5:11 is my best, but in my defense I had been injured for eight weeks prior to the race and was unable to do anything but hobble to the finish line, but no excuses my times make you fast guys look better. If you didn't keep others around like me, what would you do to boost your egos.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-18-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My brother who is not the athlete you two are, has done a 4:22, but he's never broken 1:22 on a half. Sadly 5:11 is my best, but in my defense I had been injured for eight weeks prior to the race and was unable to do anything but hobble to the finish line, but no excuses my times make you fast guys look better. If you didn't keep others around like me, what would you do to boost your egos.
5:11 is amazing. I would love to do that. I am considering trying to do a 1/2 next year, but will probably put it off till 2010. It will be harder to find good training hours with the new baby coming this fall. Plus I hate training during the winter.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
5:11 is amazing. I would love to do that. I am considering trying to do a 1/2 next year, but will probably put it off till 2010. It will be harder to find good training hours with the new baby coming this fall. Plus I hate training during the winter.
That was with a hobbled leg, limiting me to a 2:11 run. I torched the bike knowing I would be walking the run. So sad, my one chance to break 5 down the drains.

You could do it with your running. I'll trade my swimming for your running.

Next weekend I'm in Lubbock with horrible humidity and hills for running. Joy. My friend who does it told me he's never finished it without going to the medical tent for 2. I asked 2 what? He replied two IVs.

So wish me luck, as setting a PR won't happen there. Despite being old and slow, I finished under 6 every time, but not under 5:30. I'm usually right around 5:30, not exactly setting the world on fire. When I discuss with my bro, he reminds me, "Gee, I've almost never gone slower than 5 hours." [he's usually a 4:40 guy, but my legs don't hold up for the run][likely excuse I know].

Show off.

I hate all you fast people, may you rot in hell.

Halves only take about 15 hours per week to train for, so you could do it any time.