cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mike hit upon something I had forgotten. Adding muscle mass will increase caloric burn.
whilke a good thing, that doesn't up the metabolism.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
whilke a good thing, that doesn't up the metabolism.
I don't really understand what metabolism actually is, so you're probably correct.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I've heard a meth addiction will raise your metabolism substantially. If you're ok with paranoia, hallucinations, aggression and open sores, you could try that.
That doesn't sound too bad. It might actually improve my appearance and disposition.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Changing the number of calories your body burns at rest, and increasing metabolism, are two different things, IMO.

If you want to "lose 5 or maybe have a little ice cream", you simply need to increase the number of calories you burn each day while maintaining your current calorie intake (if that makes sense).

I believe it's normal for a fit person to burn fewer calories at rest than is average, due to the natural decreased heart-rate and other streamlining effects of being fit...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I believe it's normal for a fit person to burn fewer calories at rest than is average, due to the natural decreased heart-rate and other streamlining effects of being fit...
Fit people burn less calories resting because their bodies are more efficient?

I always thought increasing your muscle mass increases you metabolism as well. Muscle, I thought, required more calories to maintain than fat.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Fit people burn less calories resting because their bodies are more efficient?

I always thought increasing your muscle mass increases you metabolism as well. Muscle, I thought, required more calories to maintain than fat.
Certainly, at rest a fit person's heart-rate can regularly be as much as half that of an unfit person. IIRC, the heart is the biggest at-rest calorie burner in the body.

Absolutely, many places claim muscle burns more calories than fat. It stands to reason that at rest, muscle burns few calories, and the difference is marginal.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"

Last edited by Spaz; 05-29-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Spaz

Then again, I may be completely wrong...

Here's a pretty good list of ways to boost metabolism. Note that it says you should INCREASE caloric intake (obviously depending on your current level).

Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
Spaz

Another common thing to boost the burn is to drink lots of water.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a study that concludes that "...weight training induces a significant increase in average daily metabolic rate."

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/298
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:25 AM   #20
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Here's a study that concludes that "...weight training induces a significant increase in average daily metabolic rate."

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/298
I think a better study would be to have the control group spend an equivalent amount of time on aerobic activities. Interesting study though.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote