cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

3:49:00

20 minutes better than my previous best (Logan last September) so I'm happy with my result. Now my calves hurt ... and my feet, and my thighs, and my knees, and my ankles, and my ass.

All the downhill running wasn't as bad as some people had said it would be except that a couple miles from the bottom of the canyon my back started hurting a bit, but that went away when the course leveled out.

All in all, it was a pretty cool marathon. Y'all should try it some time.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Nice work chicken.

How many marathons does this make for you? 20 minutes is a huge improvement, any way you look at it.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats chicken. My sister in law could have cooked a casserole in the time between her finish and yours, and you would have had enough time to fry an egg and eat some cereal in the time between you and my mom.

But seriously, good job. The furthest I have ever run in my life is less than 3 miles. I would die.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Congrats chicken. My sister in law could have cooked a casserole in the time between her finish and yours, and you would have had enough time to fry an egg and eat some cereal in the time between you and my mom.

But seriously, good job. The furthest I have ever run in my life is less than 3 miles. I would die.
You may wish to work on your skills complimenting people. First time under four hours is quite an accomplishment.

Some of us are nonrunners who run and others are runners who do what nature intended them to do. SIL is doing what nature gave her. I can't comment upon Sea Chicken but endurance is a struggle. Coming from somebody who can't stay healthy enough to run well, I find it amazing people can run quickly on a frequent basis.

Congrats Sea Chicken.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Dropping 20 minutes is huge! Nice job Sea Chicken.

I'm with Archaea, I love to run, but I can't keep my legs healthy long enough to accomplish what I feel like my heart/lungs are capable of accomplishing. I've always got a tendonitis or a bursitis somewhere. I really admire you guys who can rack up those miles and stay pain free.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

in the spirit of full disclosure, I suck.

I ran that 10 k. Not sure if any marines beat me, but a bunch of other people did, including 2 girls. It was a 11:00 start and I was feeling really good as we started out down a steep hill and turned the corner to the 1000 climb over 2 miles. I was still feeling good for about 1.5 miles and then the burn in my quads and lungs got super intense. At that point I was in 3rd place but my body decided that running wasn't a good idea. So people started to pass me and when I got to the first obstacle the 5 foot wall climb I couldn't do it. Had to use the hay bail like a freaking wimp to get over it.

The race seemed to go on forever. I was hurting. I thought I was going to kill myself when I came to the tire run. Had to walk through that. I passed some guy that had passed out on the course, but the medical staff was already with him. The last mile and a half are a steep down hill and I managed to not let any one pass me in that time and even out sprinted some guy that was coming up behind me (allowing me to maintain 1st in my age group).

After the race I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without feeling like I was going to wither puke or pass-out. It took me 45 minutes to recover and never have I felt like such a wimp. I have never actally participated in something where I felt like I could not have gone any harder. I used everything my boby was willing ot give me that day, and it wasn't much. Overall result 19th out of 307 racers, first in my agegroup, 4 minutes and 20 seconds slower than when I did it 2 years ago.

One fun part was watching my kids climb the 60ft climbing wall in the gym. The marines were great hosts. I just sat there on the floor and tried not to lose it.

Overall it is a great race, even though the 80 degreee temperatures and 7500 ft elevation didn't agree with me. Next year I may be watching from the sidelines taking care of kids as my wife wants to do it. She could win the womens race.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Some of us are nonrunners who run and others are runners who do what nature intended them to do. SIL is doing what nature gave her. I can't comment upon Sea Chicken but endurance is a struggle. Coming from somebody who can't stay healthy enough to run well, I find it amazing people can run quickly on a frequent basis.

Congrats Sea Chicken.
Well said Archaea. It's too bad when those who have never toed the line diminish the hard work of runners whose gains have to come through running their ass off instead of natural talent.

Way to go Sea Chicken. Under 4 is a hell of a good marathon time, and in most races will put you ahead of about 65-70% of all finishers. Under 3:50 is even better. Anyone who knows anything about running will agree.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
in the spirit of full disclosure, I suck.

I ran that 10 k. Not sure if any marines beat me, but a bunch of other people did, including 2 girls. It was a 11:00 start and I was feeling really good as we started out down a steep hill and turned the corner to the 1000 climb over 2 miles. I was still feeling good for about 1.5 miles and then the burn in my quads and lungs got super intense. At that point I was in 3rd place but my body decided that running wasn't a good idea. So people started to pass me and when I got to the first obstacle the 5 foot wall climb I couldn't do it. Had to use the hay bail like a freaking wimp to get over it.

The race seemed to go on forever. I was hurting. I thought I was going to kill myself when I came to the tire run. Had to walk through that. I passed some guy that had passed out on the course, but the medical staff was already with him. The last mile and a half are a steep down hill and I managed to not let any one pass me in that time and even out sprinted some guy that was coming up behind me (allowing me to maintain 1st in my age group).

After the race I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without feeling like I was going to wither puke or pass-out. It took me 45 minutes to recover and never have I felt like such a wimp. I have never actally participated in something where I felt like I could not have gone any harder. I used everything my boby was willing ot give me that day, and it wasn't much. Overall result 19th out of 307 racers, first in my agegroup, 4 minutes and 20 seconds slower than when I did it 2 years ago.

One fun part was watching my kids climb the 60ft climbing wall in the gym. The marines were great hosts. I just sat there on the floor and tried not to lose it.

Overall it is a great race, even though the 80 degreee temperatures and 7500 ft elevation didn't agree with me. Next year I may be watching from the sidelines taking care of kids as my wife wants to do it. She could win the womens race.
So first in your age group means you suck? That sounds like a brutal race, I doubt I'd finish. For the 5 foot wall does it have a rope hanging off of it? Or do you just grab the top and throw yourself over?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Overall result 19th out of 307 racers, first in my agegroup.
We should all suck like that. Great job Piney. That sounds like a fun race.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
So first in your age group means you suck? That sounds like a brutal race, I doubt I'd finish. For the 5 foot wall does it have a rope hanging off of it? Or do you just grab the top and throw yourself over?
The 5 foot wall is just sitting there so you have to run up and launch yourself over. Or if you are like me put two hands on top and try and climb over a few times, before sheepishly moving over to the side where there are hay bails that you can step up on.

The worst obstacles were the tunnel crawls. They were 20 ft long plastic culverts that you had to crawl through. My knees got all cut up inside those from the rocks that were in there.

I really feel like I suck because I had to walk so much. I would get to a small hill and my mind and body would be HELL NO are you running up this. I thought I was much tougher than I really am.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote