cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #51
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
lack of concern about this is the path to fascism.
I'll be concerned when they stop having hearings or stop allowing the press access to the hearings. Texas judges are elected, right? That seems to me less fascist than a federal judge appointed for life.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Nobody except the ACLU. That's why there's an ACLU. To make sure that seemingly loathsome people like accused pedophiles and Nazis receive due process. We need the ACLU because of people like the FLDS.
It's unclear at this point that the ACLU will get involved. They have only offered lip-service at this point. I read that article/blog saying there is debate right now in the ACLU whether they will get involved.

The ACLU is a liberal organization that sometimes values liberalism over freedom (i.e. 2nd amendment).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #53
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's my point, though probably not well stated. People are agape at the grotesque spectacle, but only Mormons are attuned to the civil rights or competing rights isssue.
Sounds right, but there are exceptions. I have an acquaintance who is a very vocal atheists and detests all forms of religion. Like many of you he happens to be an attorney. The day of the raid, he went nuts about the civil rights angle of the case – he's very libertarian. In fact, he was the first person I knew who had me consider the other side of the case (from the perspective of the FLDS).
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's unclear at this point that the ACLU will get involved. They have only offered lip-service at this point. I read that article/blog saying there is debate right now in the ACLU whether they will get involved.

The ACLU is a liberal organization that sometimes values liberalism over freedom (i.e. 2nd amendment).
The ACLU has been pretty consistent about defending polygamists in Utah.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #55
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
I have talked to one ACLU lawyer about the 2nd amendment. He says there is some debate among ACLU people about whether to take up this cause. His most persuasive reason for not doing this is that the NRA is already an effective advocate for gun rights. He (a liberal) doesn't think that liberalism is the primary factor, though he says it does play a part. They choose to spend their political capital in areas that have less activist support.

I think he makes a reasonable case.
They need to allocate resources like most non-profit organizations. Pedophiles need their help a lot more than gun owners do.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 AM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
So thats your MO. Why? Is it fun for you? Is it fun for the people you insult? Does it make your arguments more persuasive? What is the benefit? Are you this way in the real world? Are you this way in church? Do you care about your reputation?

It is a common MO that I have seen all over the internet. I think a lot of former internet trolls are finally growing out of it, and this trolling represents our collective internet adolescence.

Do you plan on growing up with the rest of us?
Never ever talk to Che like this. I freaking led a revolution while you were in diapers.

Freak, when Moses came off the mountain and read the ten commandments, there was someone like Kiterider who yelled out, "TROLL!!"

I've fought battles you can't begin to comprehend. I have enemies among all the groups a good righteous man has enemies. You're right, I'm freaking Legend.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote