cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tough run this morning

I had intended to do a half-marathon this morning and set out on a new system of trails I've never run before. Beautiful morning and a great run but very hilly. The hills dropped my speed considerably and fried me at about 11.2 miles. Probably one of the best runs I've been on in a long time though.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
fuegote

fuegote

I ran outside this morning. 15.74 miles and two stops to the gas station to do twosies and I'm completely pooped.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
I ran outside this morning. 15.74 miles and two stops to the gas station to do twosies and I'm completely pooped.
I'm happy to report no deuce dropping urges. In fact, despite your post, it never even crossed my mind.

How are your legs holding up after the switch to outside running? You must have perfect alignment to tolerate those high miles and never get injured.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm happy to report no deuce dropping urges. In fact, despite your post, it never even crossed my mind.

How are your legs holding up after the switch to outside running? You must have perfect alignment to tolerate those high miles and never get injured.
Great question. I was pretty sore the rest of the day and my knees kept getting tight (my wife mentioned it is from all the stress in my legs pulling on my tendons and stuff). A day later they feel better and I'm sure they'll be fine tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I still find cross training is the only thing that allows me to keep running. I'm down to about thirty miles per week running and about 150 cycling coupled with a few swimming. But for the cross training, I'm certain I'd suffer many more injuries running.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I still find cross training is the only thing that allows me to keep running. I'm down to about thirty miles per week running and about 150 cycling coupled with a few swimming. But for the cross training, I'm certain I'd suffer many more injuries running.
I need to get back on the bike. I'm certain it would help alleviate some of the pain I have with running.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
fuegote

fuegote

My IT Ban is inflamed and that's why my leg hurts today. So I'm not running this week (which sucks because my nike+ is just racking up the miles right now) but will be doing my cross training stuff (swimming, biking) this week.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
My IT Ban is inflamed and that's why my leg hurts today. So I'm not running this week (which sucks because my nike+ is just racking up the miles right now) but will be doing my cross training stuff (swimming, biking) this week.
I've had this problem in the past and it can cost you 6 weeks of running if you're not careful. Biking wont work for you, it is a strain on the IT band. Swimming is ok, but don't do the breast stroke. Honestly though, I'd stop everything for a week and ice the heck out of your lateral knee. I'd also take ibuprofen for the next couple of weeks. After a couple days you can start stretching it good and then you'll want to make sure you add that to your routine before and after every run.

I tried to continue with alternate activities the first time I hurt it and it never cooled down. It got so bad that I couldn't run a quarter mile without searing pain. That cost me 6 weeks and a daily appointment with Dr. Bluegoose who stretched my IT band mercilessly until I got function back. It was so tight his assistant had to help in the stretching. So, take my advice brother. It's hard to stop when you've done so well but take a minimum 1 week off and consider 2. Ice 5 times a day and ibuprofen immediately. You'll be right back in the saddle if you let it rest. One other thing: your heart and lungs are ready for 15 miles but your tendons aren't yet. Running on the road is a lot different than on the tread. Your muscle recruitment is different and I'm sure that's where some of your problems stem from. A good rule of thumb (I got this from Runner's World) is to do half your normal tread distance on your road runs and build up by 10%/week. It's also good to have a great friend who is also a P.T. and owns his own clinic and puts up with you stopping by for treatment at the drop of a hat and for free. Thanks goose!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
fuegote

fuegote

So here's my dilemma: I have the SL Half next Saturday the 19th. What should I do as far as training while keeping off the IT Band?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So here's my dilemma: I have the SL Half next Saturday the 19th. What should I do as far as training while keeping off the IT Band?
the horizontal tango?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote