cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Weren't there missionaries in Japan who did a similar thing with a statue of Budda? I seem to remeber something like this happening before. As I recall, the church was not allowed to teach in that particular city for quite some time.

Anyone remember this? Or is it an LDS urban myth.
There have been several similar incidents. The most famous one was in Thailand. The elders sat on a statue of Buddha. They were turned in by the photo store. The pictures were put on the front page of newpapers and the public was outraged. At least one of the elders was thrown in jail and was there for quite some time. The incident happened in the 1970s. Even in the 1990s, the pictures would periodically be republished and public outrage would cycle up again and the missionaries would have to spend several days in their apartments and wait out the storm of outrage. I haven't been back to Thailand since 1996 so I don't know what the status is lately.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
The reality is we send young men that age to die for our country. In many states they are old enough to drink. We permit them to vote, to marry and HOLD the Melchizedek priesthood! It's time we expected more of our young men.
Why does "expect more" translate into sending them to prison with a felony conviction?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #23
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Why does "expect more" translate into sending them to prison with a felony conviction?
Tex, according to law they are adult men. In a free and democratic society adult men must deal with the consequences of unlawful actions.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Tex

Quote:
Tex, according to law they are adult men. In a free and democratic society adult men must deal with the consequences of unlawful actions.
It's not binary, tooblue. Plea bargains and mercy on the part of victims is shown all the time. As I have repeated more than once, they are adults (though teenagers) and if they are required to face the music by those whom they offended, so be it.

I just think in this circumstance there's a little room for this:

Quote:
I know this is a delicate and sensitive thing of which I am speaking. There are hardened criminals who may have to be locked up. There are unspeakable crimes, such as deliberate murder and rape, that justify harsh penalties. But there are some who could be saved from long, stultifying years in prison because of an unthoughtful, foolish act. Somehow forgiveness, with love and tolerance, accomplishes miracles that can happen in no other way.
http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...559-26,00.html

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's not binary, tooblue. Plea bargains and mercy on the part of victims is shown all the time. As I have repeated more than once, they are adults (though teenagers) and if they are required to face the music by those whom they offended, so be it.

I just think in this circumstance there's a little room for this:

http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...559-26,00.html
An appeal to mercy without respect for the demands of justice is a contradiction of eternal laws. It's ironic that the young men's planned lesson from this past week in our Ward was can mercy rob justice?

Even in the religious scenario with Christ as mediator the debtor must repay his debt.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
An appeal to mercy without respect for the demands of justice is a contradiction of eternal laws. It's ironic that the young men's planned lesson from this past week in our Ward was can mercy rob justice?

Even in the religious scenario with Christ as mediator the debtor must repay his debt.
Was President Hinckley appealing to mercy witout respect for the demands of justice in that talk? Am I?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Was President Hinckley appealing to mercy witout respect for the demands of justice in that talk? Am I?
Pharisee
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex, knowing almost nothing about the situation, demands that justice not be applied.

Funny.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #29
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Wearing a suit for 70 hours a week, no sex in the prime of horniness, no movies, no sports, living on nothing. It's a miracle these boys (men) don't get in more trouble.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The statue beheading went too far, assuming they did it. The other stuff I suspect happens in some form or antoher all the time all over the owrld.