cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I am dead serious. They are young men, not teenagers and should be punished to the full extent of the law. It is time we stop coddling young men in the church both as parents and leaders.
Wasn't the picture taken in 2006? Chances are the kids are home now...although I suppose that wouldn't prevent them from having to return for their day in court.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Weren't there missionaries in Japan who did a similar thing with a statue of Budda? I seem to remeber something like this happening before. As I recall, the church was not allowed to teach in that particular city for quite some time.

Anyone remember this? Or is it an LDS urban myth.
I am pretty sure that one's an urban legend.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-10-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am dead serious. They are young men, not teenagers and should be punished to the full extent of the law. It is time we stop coddling young men in the church both as parents and leaders.
If we're going to be mullahs about definitions, then I guess I have to point out that 19-year-old young men are still teenagers. Twenty-year-olds are technically not, but turning 20 doesn't magically bestow powers of maturity, either.

If the offended party chooses to prosecute, due process is followed, and the young men receive a punishment, then I think they should abide by it. I just think there is room here for some mercy, recognizing the foolishness of youth. If a similar thing were done in a place I hold sacred by similarly stupid young men, I would be upset and probably want an apology, but I don't know that I would insist on a punishment that could haunt them for the rest of their lives.

The Christian gospel is supposed to be about helping people, not tearing them down. I'd wager these boys have already learned their lesson.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Wasn't the picture taken in 2006? Chances are the kids are home now...although I suppose that wouldn't prevent them from having to return for their day in court.
I read in the comments that two were already home, and one was sent home from his mission (probably the guy that apologized).

I wonder if the other two will be forced to apologize, under the threat of excommunication. Doubt it. No hints of apostasy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If we're going to be mullahs about definitions, then I guess I have to point out that 19-year-old young men are still teenagers. Twenty-year-olds are technically not, but turning 20 doesn't magically bestow powers of maturity, either.

If the offended party chooses to prosecute, due process is followed, and the young men receive a punishment, then I think they should abide by it. I just think there is room here for some mercy, recognizing the foolishness of youth. If a similar thing were done in a place I hold sacred by similarly stupid young men, I would be upset and probably want an apology, but I don't know that I would insist on a punishment that could haunt them for the rest of their lives.

The Christian gospel is supposed to be about helping people, not tearing them down. I'd wager these boys have already learned their lesson.
what if 20 year old men broke into a temple and vandalized it? And then posted pictures of their handiwork on the internet. How would you respond to that?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Guess you weren't being sarcastic.

And people think I'm a mullah.
I'm the father of four boys and scout leader. Boys do stupid things all the time and should be mentored with great patients. Missionaries are not boys -they are men. There is a distinct difference.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #17
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what if 20 year old men broke into a temple and vandalized it? And then posted pictures of their handiwork on the internet. How would you respond to that?
I believe I already said how I would respond.

And for the record, it doesn't appear that they vandalized it. They desecrated it (which I'm not saying isn't serious), but they didn't permanently damage or destroy any property.

What is wrong with CG this morning? No sense of proportion in anything? The Great Evil Tex has been turned into the Angel of Compassion! Have you not had your coffee yet or something?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
I'm the father of four boys and scout leader. Boys do stupid things all the time and should be mentored with great patients. Missionaries are not boys -they are men. There is a distinct difference.
Right, once they turn 19 you should bite their head off. That'll work.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The reality is we send young men that age to die for our country. In many states they are old enough to drink. We permit them to vote, to marry and HOLD the Melchizedek priesthood! It's time we expected more of our young men.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with tooblue. Time for these boys to man up. Although I do think they should be demoted to deacon.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote