cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I tied 'er down with some nice nylon rope. So far so good.
Good call. You may want to toss a few tires on the roof, just to be sure.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good call. You may want to toss a few tires on the roof, just to be sure.
Good idea. I got the kids up there right now. They'll be happy to come inside.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

CNN has the death count at 45.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/0...oes/index.html
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Rolling through Oak Ridge as I type.
Fun stuff. My wife is excited to muck the horse stalls after this deluge.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

This is awful. Why was the death toll so high?

It's been five or six decades since so many lives were lost in a tornado outbreak. Normally you'll have lots and lots of physical destruction but to see so much human loss is rare and tragic. And to have a tornado of this magnitude so early in the year...that's really scary.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #26
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
This is awful. Why was the death toll so high?

It's been five or six decades since so many lives were lost in a tornado outbreak. Normally you'll have lots and lots of physical destruction but to see so much human loss is rare and tragic. And to have a tornado of this magnitude so early in the year...that's really scary.
I saw on the news that many hit in the middle of the night. Perhaps people just weren't able to take cover. It is horrible. And yes, tornado season doesn't typically start until April.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #27
myboynoah

The temperature here was up to 75 yesterday right before the storms hit. Today it will get down into the 40s and to 31 tonight. A lot of energy packed in all of that.

This was our first tornado experience. A lot of angst, especially after seeing the destruction to places we have been. My son last night said he wanted to go back to France. We watched the weather guy throughout and you could see his angst when he said the weather service had issued a tornado "emergency". It didn't make us feel better when he said that's the first time he had seen that.

The odd thing is how normal things are where we live (the storms passed to the east and west of us) yet things are totally destroyed just miles away. It was very calm in our area throughout the tornados. Had there not been the TV or the sirens and warnings, I would have thought nothing spectacular had happened.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #28
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The temperature here was up to 75 yesterday right before the storms hit. Today it will get down into the 40s and to 31 tonight. A lot of energy packed in all of that.

This was our first tornado experience. A lot of angst, especially after seeing the destruction to places we have been. My son last night said he wanted to go back to France. We watched the weather guy throughout and you could see his angst when he said the weather service had issued a tornado "emergency". It didn't make us feel better when he said that's the first time he had seen that.

The odd thing is how normal things are where we live (the storms passed to the east and west of us) yet things are totally destroyed just miles away. It was very calm in our area throughout the tornados. Had there not been the TV or the sirens and warnings, I would have thought nothing spectacular had happened.
Tell your son tornadoes aren't usually like that. This is an aberration of monumental proportions. Not that that will help, I suppose.

I know what you mean about the weathermen. Usually they look excited or almost giddy about severe weather. When they switch to a nervous or scared or grave tone (I've only seen it once in thirty years.), you know it's serious.

Most tornado "warnings" nobody even takes seriously. You learn to tell the difference between the real ones and all the others. When I was driving to take the GRE, the sirens were going off and nobody paid any attention. I remember I saw one guy calmly washing his car. And I took the GRE as scheduled, sirens resounding.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw this car blown upside down in Cotton Plant, Arkansas
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #30
myboynoah

They're still finding bodies up in Jackson, death toll now up to 56. I had no idea of the magnitude of all this.

Yet they were still able to play the Grizzlies game that night. Naturally the Grizzlies lost.