cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are the guys driving these boats

not at the bottom of the Strait of Hormuz? I cannot believe how close they let them get to that last ship.

http://clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/487307?wpid=1904
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Filsdepac

Filsdepac is on a distinguished road

When I first heard the story break, I knew the Iranian boats would be smaller than the US boats, but I didn't realize it would basically be Ghorab and Sameer cruising around in the family boat. They truly were lucky.

Also, the wake of the boat from which the filming takes place is huge, looks wider than the cruise boats I've been on. Seeing the film reminds me of my fantasies where I go back in time with one of these warships and take on some Athenian triremes.
Filsdepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
not at the bottom of the Strait of Hormuz? I cannot believe how close they let them get to that last ship.

http://clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/487307?wpid=1904
assuming you have read about Iranian side called pentagon's vidoe as fake

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/...a/iran_us_navy

I cannot believe US warships let those allegedly threatening speedboats approached them either ..probably "kill everyone you meet" policy doesnot operate in every US army branches.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been very sad to hear about Iran's political and economic difficulties. Inflation. Joblessness. No natural gas. High gasoline prcies.

Hope that goes better. I wouldn't worry too much, because you guys have honest, good leaders.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filsdepac View Post
When I first heard the story break, I knew the Iranian boats would be smaller than the US boats, but I didn't realize it would basically be Ghorab and Sameer cruising around in the family boat. They truly were lucky.

Also, the wake of the boat from which the filming takes place is huge, looks wider than the cruise boats I've been on. Seeing the film reminds me of my fantasies where I go back in time with one of these warships and take on some Athenian triremes.
with a great care not to break your fantasy bubbles ...a little bit out of historical context : the USS Vincennes which actually was in Iranian water fired and shot down an iranian airliner and chopped 290 passengers and crew memebers into floating peices for a second or so, called it as a *mistake* back in 1988 .. and now US warships let 6 speedboats get close , threw some boxes and threated to blow them up and yet did nothing ???
either US navy being too nice or too smart ..the whole story seems ridiculously questionable.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've been very sad to hear about Iran's political and economic difficulties. Inflation. Joblessness. No natural gas. High gasoline prcies.

Hope that goes better. I wouldn't worry too much, because you guys have honest, good leaders.
what a sympathy ..except we assum that you dont enjoy honest , good leaders.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
what a sympathy ..except we assum that you dont enjoy honest , good leaders.
You're correct about that. That's why me and every other person on the board are supporting Mitt Romney.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
with a great care not to break your fantasy bubbles ...a little bit out of historical context : the USS Vincennes which actually was in Iranian water fired and shot down an iranian airliner and chopped 290 passengers and crew memebers into floating peices for a second or so, called it as a *mistake* back in 1988 .. and now US warships let 6 speedboats get close , threw some boxes and threated to blow them up and yet did nothing ???
either US navy being too nice or too smart ..the whole story seems ridiculously questionable.
Then explain the video. The only denial is that the audio tape was fake (which is possible, although I do not think so) and that the video was compiled from file footage. The Iranian spokesperson did not say the video was fake, it said it was "compiled using file pictures." File pictures of what? What file footage has these boats throwing boxes in the water? What was going on in the file footage that caused these boats to behave in this manner? When were these file pictures taken? There is no denial that these are Iranian navy boats, and there is no denial that the people in the boats did exactly what they are seen doing in the video. Instead there is a claim that this footage was of a different time or situation without any effort to explain how this is known or what was happening when it was taken. This is not a credible explanation.

The Vincennes downing of the Iranian airliner was a tragic error for which the United States officially noted regret for the loss of life and paid reparations. This has nothing to do with Revolutionary Guards playing a dangerous game of cat and mouse with warships in the Strait.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
It only seems ridiculously questionable if you are Iranian.

To shoot on the boats would have led Iran to claim we were started a war with them as aggressors (which is exactly what those silly little boats Iran calls a navy were trying to do). It didn't work, Iran is now embarrassed, and the best you can come up with is an incident in 1988 (which WAS appalling).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And Iran didn't take diplomats hostage ... don't have military advisors In Iraq working with insurgents ... don't supply the insurgents with weapons ... don't have a president that called the holocaust a hoax ...
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote