cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Ice Storm from Hell

The national media are totally neglecting what is going on in Oklahoma.

First of all, it's 32 degrees inside my house. (I'm posting from a hotel.)

Several inches of ice covered everything. Every other tree in this city is split down the middle and laying in the road. Trees collapsed on power lines all over the place. I have never seen anything like this. ~700,000 people were without power originally, and now it's down to about 500,000.

Luckily, FEMA is here. They're passing out bottles of water, as if we couldn't eat the snow.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you're doing all right!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang. That's rough. I ask this from ignorance, but how long do ice storms last? Are they like rain or snow storms?

If it makes you feel any better, I have 8 inches of snow in my yard and your heating bill will be a lot lower than mine. My wife has now set the thermostat to "hell" for the winter.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Dang. That's rough. I ask this from ignorance, but how long do ice storms last? Are they like rain or snow storms?

If it makes you feel any better, I have 8 inches of snow in my yard and your heating bill will be a lot lower than mine. My wife has now set the thermostat to "hell" for the winter.
We don't normally get ice storms like this. Trees that are ~60 years old were completely toppled. It's the worst destruction I've ever seen.

It just lasted a day or so, but the ice was so think and heavy that it literally devastated the city. I don't know how it happened. I just woke up in the morning, and everything was covered in ice. For example, the ice was so thick over the grass that you could walk on it as if you were walking on a frozen pond, without it cracking. And the shape of the ice followed the contours of blades of grass. Same goes for pine trees. You had ice covering little groups of pine needles. When I woke up and saw the ice, I thought: "This is gorgeous." But within 24 hours, everything collapsed. A forty foot pine tree went down in our yard--completely uprooted.

But they've got power restored at the mall--and in the rich neighborhoods.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Phew! I was hoping Babs was okay.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Phew! I was hoping Babs was okay.
The electric company is focused on the priority customers. Babies 'R' Us, McDonald's, and Ross Dress for Less were up in no time.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

shouldn't this thread be renamed "ice storm in state from hell"?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
SoonerCoug

Message from BarbaraG:

"Thanks to those of you that mailed to check on the Gordons. Excepting the fact the kids have been home from school all week (no power at the schools) and are pretty bored, we're fine. Only lost power for two hours. That they got our power back on so fast is clearly an indication that we're in a way way classier neighborhood than Sooner, or perhaps just that we live on the same grid as the new hospital."

Message from SoonerCoug:

Why didn't anyone check on me? Is it because I'm a male, unattractive, or both?

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 12-13-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to be selfish here. Keep it over there.

Now I'm going to be unselfish. If you can make it to Memphis, you have a place to stay. We are Volunteers here in Tennessee.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
We don't normally get ice storms like this. Trees that are ~60 years old were completely toppled. It's the worst destruction I've ever seen.

It just lasted a day or so, but the ice was so think and heavy that it literally devastated the city. I don't know how it happened. I just woke up in the morning, and everything was covered in ice. For example, the ice was so thick over the grass that you could walk on it as if you were walking on a frozen pond, without it cracking. And the shape of the ice followed the contours of blades of grass. Same goes for pine trees. You had ice covering little groups of pine needles. When I woke up and saw the ice, I thought: "This is gorgeous." But within 24 hours, everything collapsed. A forty foot pine tree went down in our yard--completely uprooted.

Wow.

It sounds like an ice storm can make things look beautiful. Then again, the snow covering a mountain is beautiful just before the avalanche is released.

Winter storms in Sicily were amazing. Heavy rainfall that can last upwards of 24+ hours; gale force winds; I remember the first one I experienced in Palermo. We lived just on the outskirts of the city toward the beach areas and the morning after a storm had been going on all night washed two small fishing dinghies in the square less than 1km from our apartment - and the square was a good 200m from the sea where the dinghies were docked.

Glad to hear you're ok.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote