cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #71
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

I watch House every week. I like the Mormon doctor, and I like that he's black, and that he's a single father. I think it's been nothing but positive. I haven't seen anything on there to make me believe that the writers haven't done their research. I think the whole portrayal of the Mormon has been refreshing. He's not the stereotypical white male Mormon, and it's very refreshing. If you've watched the show and missed the humor in it, you're taking things WAY too seriously.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #72
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I watch House every week. I like the Mormon doctor, and I like that he's black, and that he's a single father. I think it's been nothing but positive. I haven't seen anything on there to make me believe that the writers haven't done their research. I think the whole portrayal of the Mormon has been refreshing. He's not the stereotypical white male Mormon, and it's very refreshing. If you've watched the show and missed the humor in it, you're taking things WAY too seriously.
I am finally catching up on my house viewing, and like you find people are getting worked up over nothing. Watched the one last night where 'Big Love' punches House, lol. House is a jerk, but he is an equal opportunity jerk. I hope the mormon guy stays on for a while, but please get rid of the back stabbing bitch. I just don't like her, her character and as an actress. If she stays on too long I may have to stop watching.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #73
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The best-ever Mormon reference was on Cheers:

Rebecca: “Oh, why can’t more men send flowers?”
Sam: “I didn’t know Mormons couldn’t send flowers.”
Rebecca: “I said ‘more men’, not ‘Mormons’.”
Sam: “I know they can’t dance.”
Norm: “No Sammy, that’s the uh, that’s the Amish.”
Sam: “Wh… Why can’t Mormons send flowers.”
Rebecca: “They can.”
Sam: “What are ya talking about.”
Rebecca: “I just wish someone would send me some damn roses.”
Sam: “Why does it have to be a Mormon?”
Rebecca: “Oh!”
Sam: “Some people you just can’t discuss religion…”

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #74
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
"House" is one of the very few shows that I watch every week, so perhaps I can provide some perspective.

The main character, Dr. House, is an obnoxious atheist misanthrope who is constantly doing things that are illegal and unethical in order to benefit his patients. The basic idea behind his character is that he probably cares about his patients, but that his motivation for being such an excellent doctor is personal pride more than anything. Some atheists think this show is a coup for raising awareness for atheism, while some see it as an affront, as Dr. House embodies the inaccurate stereotypes that many people have of atheists. I just think it's a good show and think he's an interesting character, so I don't mind either way.

Cole, the Mormon character on the show, if anything represents a coup for mormon awareness. Sure, House throws some pretty funny and stereotypical insults at him, but Cole stands his ground, proves that the well being of others is more important to him than some of the more trivial Mormon practices, is black, is an unmarried father, and just an all-around regular, non-fanatical person.

In the last episode, he even punched House in the face in response to one of his insults, which I'm sure a lot of Mormon viewers cheered at.

The deseret news article is the result of a small mind.
I like House's character. He makes me laugh and I am jealous that I don't have a venue where I can insult people, be crude and generally just be an asshole for my own entertainment.

I also like the Mormon character. I saw the episode you cite and did not understand why he slugged House. House merely indicated that Joseph Smith enjoyed female companionship and any analysis of the history certainly gives creedance to such a claim.

Regardless, while I am a redneck rural Mormon fundie. I like depictions of black Mormon doctors as well as Democratic Majority Leaders. It is good for the world to see that we are all types.

Mostly I like that getting falsies is the rage of the Wasatch Front. Oh ye Mountains High!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #75
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I saw the episode you cite and did not understand why he slugged House.
I think it was for two reasons

A.) Thanks to Cameron's advice, Cole realized the only way it was going to stop is if he stood up for himself.

B.) There's something inherently offensive about House saying Joseph Smith was "a horny fraud."

I really like Cole's character now that he's more aggressive. He was boring as all get out when he was just taking House's crap.

Great show.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #76
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Boo the Mormon dude got fired. He hadn't really been involved much the last couple episodes so it wasn't unexpected, and they chose a pretty cool way to fire him. Thus ends the era.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #77
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I still have no idea what the D News or others on here are complaining about! Have you complainers even watched the show? I love House. Very entertaining. There was nothing wrong with the Mormon character. If anything, he rebutted House's inaccurate portrayals of Mormons (and while inaccurate, they ARE views held by millions, if not a majority of Americans). The character was not your stereotypical Mormon. He was a single parent African American doctor. I wish he hadn't been fired last night. I thought he was fantastic.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote