cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mormon character on the show "House"

Maybe this belongs in the entertainment forum but ...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...222921,00.html
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good thing to have a Mormon be part of the popular culture. And part of that happening is accepting that we are not going to get the GA-approved version.

I wonder if a main writer/producer were Mormon, and came up with this material, whether he would be excommunicated.

It's sad that this question even exists in my mind.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

More annoying than anything a show's writers could conjure up is this inevitable whiny article about how the writers don't do their research, don't know much about Mormons etc... I expect to receive a grassroots email any day now telling me to boycott.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
More annoying than anything a show's writers could conjure up is this inevitable whiny article about how the writers don't do their research, don't know much about Mormons etc... I expect to receive a grassroots email any day now telling me to boycott.
It is diplorable that BASIC research could actually make the character more compelling and not so much a charicature ... I think that's what the writer in the Dnews was saying in general about the entire show.

It is annoying Steel, and old, and I'm personally tired if it ... doesn't mean I am going to start or even participated in some grass roots email campaign to boycott. I watch very little tv to really care.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
OOOooooo, I love those emails. Because then I get to "reply all". One of my email replies about the gay marriage thing was a list of pro-gay positions Mitt Romney had taken, that went out to my entire extended family.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
It is diplorable that BASIC research could actually make the character more compelling and not so much a charicature ... I think that's what the writer in the Dnews was saying in general about the entire show.

It is annoying Steel, and old, and I'm personally tired if it ... doesn't mean I am going to start or even participated in some grass roots email campaign to boycott. I watch very little tv to really care.
Why should the Doctor on House be accurate? Most people in the USA aren't accurate about Mormons. So why should he? You of all people should understand the difference between drama and a documentary. For shame.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, could they have picked a more unlikely person? A single-father, black Mormon doctor. Does one even exist? The only thing more unlikely would be a female black Mormon doctor, followed by a female Mormon doctor.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's a good thing to have a Mormon be part of the popular culture. And part of that happening is accepting that we are not going to get the GA-approved version.

I wonder if a main writer/producer were Mormon, and came up with this material, whether he would be excommunicated.

It's sad that this question even exists in my mind.
There are plenty of Mormons working in Hollywood in off-stage positions. It wouldn't surprise me at all if one of their script writers is LDS.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

First, it's a character on a fictional tv show, they can make him be whatever they want him to be. I don't see that tv shows in general put any more research or respect into characters of other religious persuasions. Second, probably only half of all Mormons are hardcore/active LDS so somebody who is not portrayed as a perfectly faithful LDS on a tv show is probably representative of a good number of Mormons.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why should the Doctor on House be accurate? Most people in the USA aren't accurate about Mormons. So why should he? You of all people should understand the difference between drama and a documentary. For shame.

I understand the difference ... problem is the general populace believes Michael Moore is a documentary film maker And let's not forget Al Gore was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize