cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

View Poll Results: Does Bush have any credibility with you?
Yes, when he speaks I generally believe him 7 38.89%
No; none. His words mean nothing to me. 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #31
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
In this case I would say many, many people didn't second guess, but outright disagree with many of Bush's policies. Those policies in hindsight seem to have been based on wishful thinking. I see very little evidence of wisdom at work in GWB's presidency.
Fine, what is so hard about saying you outright disagree with someone's policies. Why does there have to be an element of calling someone a liar and or stupid. Is it that your arguments are so poor that to back them up you need the other person to be a liar and stupid.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #32
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Fine, what is so hard about saying you outright disagree with someone's policies. Why does there have to be an element of calling someone a liar and or stupid. Is it that your arguments are so poor that to back them up you need the other person to be a liar and stupid.
I agree that calling names is poor form. Most political debates are poor form. But who wants to have good manners?

I must ask however, what distinction you make between calling someone stupid and saying that they have poor values? Are both not insults?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How many future elections do you think he'll tilt the opposite way? I think it will be at least one and possibly two. Maybe in a worst case scenario three.

His unpopularity was, surely more responisible for the big 2006 defeat than anything the inept, detached, clueless, idiotic, unpatriotic, cowardly, morally bankrupt Democrats (those are paraphrases of your sentiments-please feel free to object). And that makes him persona non grata in his own party.
No matter which way it goes, I don't know how much of 2008 one will be able to lay at Bush's feet. I'm sure politicos will debate it for years.

I don't think Bush unpopularity had as much to do with 2006 as war fatigue. Midterm elections are traditionally tough, especially for 6th-year presidents, and the war just made things worse. That doesn't mean it isn't ultimately Bush's fault (he DID choose to go to war), but I'm not sure it had much to do with his personal unpopularity. Repeated Republican Congressional scandal, both real and perceived, played a big factor too.

And the Dems really didn't fare that much better. It was conservative/moderate Dems, not wacko lefties, that won them their victories. Moreover, their margin in the Senate is razor thin, and their House margin is only as large as the Republicans' was before.

The bottom line is, Bush is indeed a pretty smart guy and if Iraq pans out in the long run, he'll get the credit for that too. This "stupid" and "liar" stuff is just folks like Peanut Gallery Lebowski substituting ad hominem for substance.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-14-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree that calling names is poor form. Most political debates are poor form. But who wants to have good manners?

I must ask however, what distinction you make between calling someone stupid and saying that they have poor values? Are both not insults?
Fair point. Calling me stupid though bothers me a lot more.

Let's say someone who has mullah tendencies says I have poor values, do you think I really care. It does bother me though if anyone calls me stupid.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #35
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

You know, I don't relish the moment the next time a Democrat becomes President. However, when that day inevitably comes, I can't wait to start making demands on his cabinet and judicial appointees.

"We need a consensus candidate!"
"We need a candidate who will maintain the balance!"
"We need a check on the executive!"
"We need someone non-partisan!"
"We need an independent thinker!"

"Filibuster his butt!"

That will be a fun day to throw all of the Democrats' thoughtless tactics back in their collective faces.

http://opinionjournal.com/editorial/...l?id=110010605

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote