cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #41
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Actually, I probably watch Fox more than CNN or any of the others. But their style makes me laugh at times.
Suuuuuuuure you do. I totally believe you.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #42
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
It pissed them off that O'Reilly Factor was killing the other networks in the ratings so they got Olberman to copycat the style and tone of O'Reillys show albeit they are on opposite ends of any debating point....but wala......they're getting some attention.

I rarely watch any of the cable networks anymore.
Olberman is such a chode. It's the same song every time he is on: Bush is the devil, America sucks, get the Republicans out of power, we are killing innocent Iraqi's by the thousands, the terrorists are the good guys, etc. I guess he really is the anti-O'Reilly. O'Reilly has his flaws, but he does whup Olberman's ass and I relish in it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #43
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Actually, I probably watch Fox more than CNN or any of the others. But their style makes me laugh at times.
Heh. Funny.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #44
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Suuuuuuuure you do. I totally believe you.
It's true.

I actually find the BOR show to be highly entertaining. Kind of like the Daily Show, but not intentionally funny.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #45
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
they call suicide bombers homicide bombers.
I agree with others that it is cheesy, but is it not accurate?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #46
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I think it bothers them that it is also accurate.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #47
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
There are a couple of reasons it bugs me (though I confess it doesn't bug me often, I haven't thought about it in a couple of years). The first is that, as I said earlier, it is less accurate, or at least less descriptive, than "Suicide Bomber". They have taken a perfectly good descriptor and changed it to give less information. "Suicide Bomber" is someone who is a) a bomber, and b) commits suicide in the act of bombing. It descibes a specific kind of bomber. Homicide bomber, on the other hand, does not. It can describe Tim McVeigh just as well as a guy who walks into an Israeli club with a belt full of dynamite. I would say that it is less accurate. It is also forced and contrived.

And that is the other reason I dislike it. If they didn't want to use the term "Suicide Bomber", they could just use "Bomber", a perfectly fine term. Instead, they use the contrived term, in order to make a point. They cross over from delivering news to making commentary. I don't like it when Liberals do this, and I don't like it when Conservatives do this.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

One reason I like Fox News ...

They are willing to cover the Hsu-Clinton debacle while the other networks ignore it. You'll never see a more stark double-standard in your life than the first day Guiliani or Romney have a contribution problem.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #49
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
One reason I like Fox News ...

They are willing to cover the Hsu-Clinton debacle while the other networks ignore it. You'll never see a more stark double-standard in your life than the first day Guiliani or Romney have a contribution problem.
Glenn Beck is on it over on CNN.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
There are a couple of reasons it bugs me (though I confess it doesn't bug me often, I haven't thought about it in a couple of years). The first is that, as I said earlier, it is less accurate, or at least less descriptive, than "Suicide Bomber". They have taken a perfectly good descriptor and changed it to give less information. "Suicide Bomber" is someone who is a) a bomber, and b) commits suicide in the act of bombing. It descibes a specific kind of bomber. Homicide bomber, on the other hand, does not. It can describe Tim McVeigh just as well as a guy who walks into an Israeli club with a belt full of dynamite. I would say that it is less accurate. It is also forced and contrived.

And that is the other reason I dislike it. If they didn't want to use the term "Suicide Bomber", they could just use "Bomber", a perfectly fine term. Instead, they use the contrived term, in order to make a point. They cross over from delivering news to making commentary. I don't like it when Liberals do this, and I don't like it when Conservatives do this.
Understood and you make a good point; however, I like homicide bomber better because it's a term that focuses on the victims rather than the perpetrator.

"Bomber" would probably be the best term, but I can't help but like that calling the perps a homicide bomber really gets under the skin of the left. Too funny.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote