cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #41
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Which would be a good reason to call the MMM film that just came out a biggotted film. Right??
Zing!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #42
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Oh brother. Wanting secure borders and an immigration policy has nothing to do with race. The open borders crowd, and people like you are the ones that always play the race card. There's nothing racist about demanding the federal government to fulfill their constitutional duty of controlling our nation's borders.
Historically, immigration discourse is filled with racism. This is a fact, and one that I have studied in the context of the immigrants who came to this country in the 1920s and 1930s. Your ignorance of history does not constitute an argument, and does not change the context of immigration discourse.

Also, from whence the accusation that I am in the "open borders crowd?"

I hope the borders are secure in the short term, but in the long term the nation state appears to be in decline as a form of governance. Huge masses of people live as refugees. Nationalism is giving way to localism. Metanarratives splinter into fragments. The citizen declines while the nomad consumer rises.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Which would be a good reason to call the MMM film that just came out a biggotted film. Right??
I hope you don't think I've defended that film. Cite?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #44
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It is also a well-known form of racism and nativism to use a sinlge bad act by a member of a minority or immigrant class to inflame majority prejudices and hatreds against the minority class.
Why are you playing the race card again? It doesn't matter what these murderers' race is! What matters is that they entered the country illegally, and already had been arrested before the murders! ANYONE arrested should have their background checked to determine if they are even in this country legally. If they are not, they should be deported, unless they are going to be persecuted, and jailed.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #45
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Oh brother, we have an angry white man here. I'm sorry you feel they are occupying attractive jobs you would like to have. Why don't you tend your own garden? Try worrying about only NorCat. How about sprucing up your resume, going to night school?
Damn right I am angry. People are getting killed, and crimes are being committed by people that shouldn't even be in this country in the first place because our government is not doing their job...not just once be letting these people in, but by not kicking them out once they commit their first crime.

Anyone who is not angry about this (you?), I suppose does not care about people being murdered.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #46
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hope you don't think I've defended that film. Cite?
I thought you were in the camp that thought the film makers had the story correct as far a BY's involvement. If I misunderstood you then I apologize.

Nice to know we agree on somethings. The film makers are protraying what may be fiction at best and are presenting a biggoted film at worst.

A conservative and liberal can agree on some things.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #47
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Historically, immigration discourse is filled with racism. This is a fact, and one that I have studied in the context of the immigrants who came to this country in the 1920s and 1930s. Your ignorance of history does not constitute an argument, and does not change the context of immigration discourse.

Also, from whence the accusation that I am in the "open borders crowd?"

I hope the borders are secure in the short term, but in the long term the nation state appears to be in decline as a form of governance. Huge masses of people live as refugees. Nationalism is giving way to localism. Metanarratives splinter into fragments. The citizen declines while the nomad consumer rises.
Don't preach to me about history. This discussion has nothing to do with history. I am talking about the reasons why I want the borders secured, and an immigration policy implemented. It has nothing to do with race for me.

I didn't say you were in the open borders crowd. I said "open borders crowd, and people like you..." see that comma there?!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #48
SeattleUte

Quote:
I thought you were in the camp that thought the film makers had the story correct as far a BY's involvement. If I misunderstood you then I apologize.

Nice to know we agree on somethings. The film makers are protraying what may be fiction at best and are presenting a biggoted film at worst.

A conservative and liberal can agree on some things.
I don't really have an opionion on the film or whether BY ordered the hit. I was interested to see that you suggested it didn't matter to you whether he did.

I'm not a "liberal."

—Paul Auster
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #49
SeattleUte

Quote:
Damn right I am angry. People are getting killed, and crimes are being committed by people that shouldn't even be in this country in the first place because our government is not doing their job...not just once be letting these people in, but by not kicking them out once they commit their first crime.

Anyone who is not angry about this (you?), I suppose does not care about people being murdered.
I'm Howard Beal and I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #50
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Don't preach to me about history. This discussion has nothing to do with history. I am talking about the reasons why I want the borders secured, and an immigration policy implemented. It has nothing to do with race for me.

I didn't say you were in the open borders crowd. I said "open borders crowd, and people like you..." see that comma there?!
You're not wanting the discussion to intersect history does not change the fact that it does.

Oh, and thank you for telling me what kind of person I am.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote