cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

For you caffeine addicts, what does it feel like? I love diet coke, but I probably only have two or 3 a week. I feel no effects if I stop for long periods of time. I never have headaches. I like diet soda just for something that feels like cheating when I'm eating really healthy (have been since January 1) but as far as any rush etc... I can't tell the difference between a caffeinated soda and a decaff.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
For you caffeine addicts, what does it feel like? I love diet coke, but I probably only have two or 3 a week. I feel no effects if I stop for long periods of time. I never have headaches. I like diet soda just for something that feels like cheating when I'm eating really healthy (have been since January 1) but as far as any rush etc... I can't tell the difference between a caffeinated soda and a decaff.
I drink about 2-3 Super Big Gulps a day. That's 44 ounces sometimes times 3.

That's just ridiculous.

You don't drink it enough to really get the usual withdrawal headaches and symptoms.

I was one of those people that others hated because I was always thin and had a six pack without ever trying. Yeah....not so much anymore.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #23
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

That's just ridiculous.

You don't drink it enough to really get the usual withdrawal headaches and symptoms.

I was one of those people that others hated because I was always thin and had a six pack without ever trying. Yeah....not so much anymore.
I just looked that up. A 44 oz. drink has 415 calories. So, you're getting more than 1200 calories a day from soda some days. If you want to weigh 175 again then your total caloric intake for the day should be around 1750 calories. So, that leaves you with a whopping 500 calories after your drinks. Switch to diet and you lose a minimum of 10 pounds if you eat the same amount of food that you do now. I'd bet you lose closer to 20 pounds over a 3 month period.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I just looked that up. A 44 oz. drink has 415 calories. So, you're getting more than 1200 calories a day from soda some days. If you want to weigh 175 again then your total caloric intake for the day should be around 1750 calories. So, that leaves you with a whopping 500 calories after your drinks. Switch to diet and you lose a minimum of 10 pounds if you eat the same amount of food that you do now. I'd bet you lose closer to 20 pounds over a 3 month period.
Wow..that's a ton of empty calories I'm consuming. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #25
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

In the biggest loser book, the trainer on their says the average american has 1 can of soda a day, which is 250 calories, he said if you just cut soda out of your diet that is 1750 calories a week. That is 1/2 a pound a week just from soda. In your case Rocky you are consuming 1750 a day which is equivalent to 12250 calories a week, which is 3.2lbs a week.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That's just ridiculous.

WOW!

Forget the weight gain. You intake that much sugar a day and you are on the fast track to adult-onset diabetes. Happened to a friend of mine.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #27
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
WOW!

Forget the weight gain. You intake that much sugar a day and you are on the fast track to adult-onset diabetes. Happened to a friend of mine.
Yet another reason to quit cold turkey....both of my parents have it. My Dad much worse than my mom. She can control hers with diet, but not him. Even if he could control his with diet he wouldn't do it. He's 76 years old and stubborn as they come. He's like the Burgess Meredith character from Grumpier Old Men that has to have his 5 pieces of bacon everyday..etc..etc.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-26-2007 at 02:29 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #28
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Diet sodas are certainly are an aquired taste, but you get used to it after a while...that's why they say what they say about Diet Dr. pepper. Sure there is a difference, but not much of one after you go a few months w/o regular Dr. Pepper.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here's another wild guess. I dare bet that insomnia problem you talk about occasionally has something to do with this.