cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
David Bowie said about his earlier days, "I think I was a closet heterosexual."
Oh? Who was he hiding it from and why? Was he raised in the Gay Cult of Christ?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Oh? Who was he hiding it from and why? Was he raised in the Gay Cult of Christ?
You'll have to ask David. I don't know all the gritty details, but he was at least bi-sexual for many years. I think he said in the same interview, "I wan't bisexual. I was 'try'-sexual."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #43
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.answers.com/topic/imprinting-psychology
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #44
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Well, born not made is a figure of speech. Environmental factors may play a part. I don't know the mix, but the point is I believe sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic, and I don't believe someone can go from being wired to be perfectly heterosexual to homosexual because they were molested as a child. That's what I blelieve.

The story doesn't really serve homosexuals' interests, and, as I say, it seems dated. I'm pretty sure it's fiction.
I don't think so. Aren't there studies that indicate sexual abuse as a child tends to lead to homosexuality in a high number of instances? Maybe I am wrong, but I am pretty confident I have read that before.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #45
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't think so. Aren't there studies that indicate sexual abuse as a child tends to lead to homosexuality in a high number of instances? Maybe I am wrong, but I am pretty confident I have read that before.
I'm not aware of any such studies, reputable ones, that is. I'd be happy to consider a link.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #46
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I have only heard that a high number of children who are sexually abused grow up to be abusers themselves, not that they become homosexual.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #47
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I have only heard that a high number of children who are sexually abused grow up to be abusers themselves, not that they become homosexual.
Yes, that's right. But there's no correlation to sexual preference that I've seen. My horse sense tells me there isn't as well.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #48
SeattleUte

I might add this article itself proves nothing. The anonymous author can't possibly really know the relationship between the abuse and his sexual preference. Six year olds are innocent of any sexual proclivities. (Do you know the source of your own sexual preference?) Scanning this article it appears vague on the question of when the author realized his sexual preference but it seems there never was a time that he consciously was heterosexual. He experienced the usual hormone changes many years after the purported molestation, and with the related sexual urges blossoming, he realized men appealed to him.

I still say the story appears a polemical parable, and a somewhat ill-advised and ill-conceived one at that. But even if all that is described happened, it doesn't advance the proposition that molestation causes homosexuality.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #49
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I might add this article itself proves nothing. The anonymous author can't possibly really know the relationship between the abuse and his sexual preference. Six year olds are innocent of any sexual proclivities. (Do you know the source of your own sexual preference?) Scanning this article it appears vague on the question of when the author realized his sexual preference but it seems there never was a time that he consciously was heterosexual. He experienced the usual hormone changes many years after the purported molestation, and with the related sexual urges blossoming, he realized men appealed to him.

I still say the story appears a polemical parable, and a somewhat ill-advised and ill-conceived one at that. But even if all that is described happened, it doesn't advance the proposition that molestation causes homosexuality.

Perhaps not, but taken at face value, I think it is a commentary on the struggle homosexuals within the church face, and it does correlate to the experiences others have told me about as homosexual members.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote