cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default For the few hip-hop fans on this site

I have to recommend that everyone of you if you do not already own it, go out and buy Talib Kweli/Hi Tek's Reflection Eternal album. It was released about 5 years ago, in what was IMO one of the best eras for hip-hop. I had not listened to the album for a few months and busted it out last night. It was every bit the classic that I remembered. In that period where such greats as Blackalicious - Nia, Mos Def - Black on Both Sides, Common - Like Water for Chocolate, and Black Starr was released this one may stand out as the best of a great era.

Kweli has not been nearly the same since, although he has not been all that bad. His vocals on this are some of the best I have ever heard. When Kweli is on, and this is an album where he is on, he is possibly the best MC out there.

The song Move Somethin' is one of those songs when you listen to it you just feel it. The song For Women has some of the most poignant lyrics I have heard in any song. From start to finish it is just a fantastic album. I cannot emphasize enough to buy this album, or if you have it to listen to it again.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

funk my friend....

don't quite understand the hip hop taste that you so proudly profess.....

give me fifty, snoop, dre, jay, eminem, any and every day over nas, mos and common.....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
mpfunk

We simply will never agree on hip-hop then if you take those over the greats. Some of the older stuff by guys like Snoop and Dre is good to listen to, yes I do like the G-Funk even though it is not as good as a lot of the other hip-hop. Jay-Z is funny to listen to as is 50, but the music nor the rapping is very good.

Here is the top 5 hip-hop albums.

1. Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
3. Reflection Eternal (Kweli/Hi Tek) - Train of Thought
4. Count Bass D - Pre Life Crisis
5. De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead
Honorable mention and very close to unseating De La: Common - Be and Blackalicious - Nia

Top MCs: based off of delivery and lyrics
1. Talib Kweli: he took a huge step back with the Beautiful Struggle, but his best stands up there with anyone
2. Common
3. Count Bass D: one album that was pure classic lyrically
4. Gift of Gab
5. Mos Def
Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
mpfunk

Also as for Nas, his rapping ability is great when he wants to be and does not want to go pop. Illmatic is a hip-hop classic. Most of his other stuff is just not good because he wanted the cash.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with MP on the Nas issue, Illmatic is a sick sick album, but everything else is really commercial. You can tell when an artist is not trying to sell records but is just trying to make music.

I like Common, Talib Kweli and my man Del the Funky homosapien. But i am with Fusnik to where i love Dre, 50, Eminem, and my all time favorite rapper Ice Cube.

I grew up in teh Gangsta Rap era so that is where my allegiance lies, but I do like some of the true "hip hop" artists that Funk is talking about.

Have you guys ever heard the Numbs? they are local out of Utah, they are actually pretty sweet. I have been to a few concerts and used to work with one of the members, cool cool guys.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie
Have you guys ever heard the Numbs? they are local out of Utah, they are actually pretty sweet. I have been to a few concerts and used to work with one of the members, cool cool guys.
Gangster rap out of Utah???

Now I've heard it all.

Just where do they draw their inspiration for lyrics? I hear the Smiths down on 109th South is one place you don't want to be found after dark.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
I hear the Smiths down on 109th South is one place you don't want to be found after dark.
Where on 109th South are you talking about? There's one on about 101st South and 13th East and I believe ther is one somewhere near 90th South and Redwood Road.

I think you're making it up.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I am ignorant when it comes to hip-hop.

Where does The Fresh Prince stand as far as good hip-hop goes?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote