cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
We once went as a family and saw some of these sights in AZ. We wound up in an old west town and got locked in a jail cell by some crazy old man.

Luckily, he left the key hanging on the wall. My dad took all our belts and shoelaces, tied them together, and made a makeshift rope to pull the key towards us. We got out of that town quickly and never went back.

The saddest part for me was saying goodbye to the little indian kid who put some pinto beans in my flashlight. Those beans were good.
But that was nothing compared to your family vacation to Hawaii.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to Carlsbad Caverns come to Roswell and see the UFO museum and I'll take you to lunch. It is on the way to Santa Fe from Carlsbad Caverns.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
If you go to Carlsbad Caverns come to Roswell and see the UFO museum and I'll take you to lunch. It is on the way to Santa Fe from Carlsbad Caverns.
Didn't know you were in Roswell. We did Carlsbad Carens and then SW Colorado this summer. Drove by the UFO museum but didn't see any RV parking so we didn't stop.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #14
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Be sure to stop and get a picture of yourself taking a leak on one of those pretentious "Don't Mess With Texas" signs.
Then the next time I'm in Wyoming, I'll go and take a shit on the capitol building lawn, or what there is with it. I'll make sure no to wipe with the sage brush.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #15
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
There are some Indian museums in Albucracky, but if you've stopped in a Pueblo in the Taos/Santa Fe area they'd be redundant. Mostly there are some good restaurants -- but also good eats in Santa Fe. If you're driving from Taos to Ft Worth, you don't want to go through Lubbock, rather Amarillo. West of Amarillo is the "Caddilac Ranch" you can see it from I-40. You can also see some big wind farms from the highway out there. Maybe even a dust storm or brush fire nowadays. If you have time -- you might want to drive through the Palo Duro Canyon on the way from Spamarillo to Ft Worthless.
The great thing about this route is not having to drive through Mobilehoma.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #16
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

While attending every temple along the route is a very worthwhile endeavor, it doesn't sound like a fun sightseeing trip.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #17
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Didn't know you were in Roswell. We did Carlsbad Carens and then SW Colorado this summer. Drove by the UFO museum but didn't see any RV parking so we didn't stop.
I just moved there at the first of the year so I am a newbie. My office overlooks the museum, at least until they move it later this year or next. Next time let me know and we'll hang.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
Then the next time I'm in Wyoming, I'll go and take a shit on the capitol building lawn, or what there is with it. I'll make sure no to wipe with the sage brush.
A word of advice if you do decide to do so: While it may seem like a good idea to piss with the wind while you're hunkered down, by doing so you're actually creating an eddy in the wind which in turn will create some serious splash-back. Best to orient yourself at an angle with with wind. That is, if the wind is from the west, which it will be 99% of the time, you'll want your manhood facing either northeast or southeast.

No need to thank me, I'm just happy someone else can learn from my experience.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
While attending every temple along the route is a very worthwhile endeavor, it doesn't sound like a fun sightseeing trip.
I thought of that this morning. Who wants to spend that many days in the car in a shirt and tie...and besides it would get monotonous very fast. I think I'll do one session, and just stop at the others to take photos. Any recommendations on which of the 8 temples to attend?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
That was in my mission. Being the idiots we were, we decided to tract his old house. The people who lived there were not nice, to say the least.

We also tracted the house next door. It turned out the old guy used to sell insurance with SWK back in the day, and told us a few stories about him. That was back in '92, I'm sure he's passed away by now.
I can't find anything from the church giving an address. I gather that it is not an official "site to see," but just some house that is privately owned and unmarked. Is that the case? I may skip it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
There is also an indian cliff dwelling outside of town up near where Brian used to live that is also worth a side trip, IMO.
Where is that?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote