cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default real estate license or finish school?

so i earned my associates degree in 2003. i then got lazy for a while... didn't do much in the way of school or work. in september of 2004 i started as a teller and worked my way up to branch manager this past july. throughout this time i would enroll almost every semester only to drop the classes a couple weeks in. i decided to enroll at UVU (my chosen major is business management with an emphasis in finance and banking) with my buddy this semester taking a couple business classes which i didn't drop.. one i enjoy and find helpful, and the other i loathe. i find it hard to focus on information when i don't find it immediately relevant. eventually i'd like to earn a degree only for the sake of making my wife happy... my observation on the reasons SOME people get degrees from a 4 year institutions will be for another time...

ANYWAY, my dad talked to me about continuing his real estate brokerage that he's done a little bit with here and there, but has kept his stuff current for the last 36 years. so here's what i've decided, at the beginning of the year i will take 1 class at UVU that i think will give me practical knowledge and enroll in real estate school to get my real estate license. my dad is well connected and gets thrown deals somewhat often just because people trust him... he has been deferring these deals to a friend who gives them to his real estate son. my dad would really like to give these deals to me and i'm happy to oblige. i'm looking at only maybe 1 or 2 deals a quarter. i think that would give us just enough income to be comfortable if we found a good deal on a house...

thoughts? should i put off the real estate license and finish my bachelors and be done in 3 years going 2 classes a semester? i don't see any financial benefit short term or long term by doing so, especially in the banking industry... or should i get my real estate license, get immediate extra income and continue my schooling taking forever. i obviously pretty much made my decision, but i'd like to hear your thoughts..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote