cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default does anyone else find the jesus of the bible in the flesh...

different than the jesus portrayed by prophets and his church?

it seems as if the jeus in the mortal probation is portrayed as a god much more willing to forgive and look past the sin, than the god that orders men and nations to be killed through his church and prophets.

it almost seems as if there is a disconnect between the mortal jesus and his church, a disconnect of compassion, understanding and love.

on one hand youll have him championing the life of a harlot in real life, and than through his church and prophet emma smith is threatened with hell because she is uncomfortable with polygamy.

anyone else see this?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesus didn't fill the temple with a bunch of old people standing around pointing, feeling like they have a purpose. Rather, he created a ruckus, throwing things around.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

So wait, are you saying that our interpretation of the bible may not be spot on?

Frankly, I think the fact that Jesus allows many of the buffoons in our ward speak on Sundays without killing the bishop is pretty darn merciful.

Also remember, while on earth Jesus had no earthly authority. He was in no position to condemn any in a temporal sense. The woman taken in adultery that I believe you are referring to, correct me if I'm wrong, is a prime example. Once he disposes of the people who are trying to trip him up, he simply says "Neither do I condemn thee; go thy way and sin no more."

Not "I forgive you," but rather that he himself was not a witness to the event and thus could not substantiate the claim. So saying, emphasized his limited earthly authority and acknowledged that he had no right to prosecute and sent the woman away.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote