cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I might dig out some of my crappy short stories

to see if my lack of talent is evident to everybody else.

Or I would offer my critique sans the usual exorbitant fee.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #22
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent Outlier a story I had recently "finished" and he gave me some great insight and criticism on it. This is sort of what is spurring my thoughts on this.

I think there are enough people on here who are serious writers, who would not only give the criticism but provide their own works to be reviewed.

I would be reluctant to expose myself and my writing so openly to the masses (even the CougarGuard masses), but to a smaller group of serious writers, I don't have the same reluctance.

Plus, I think the discussion and exchange of ideas and techniques would spur me along more, and I might find more motivation to finish the many writing projects I have that remain incomplete.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #23
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

set up that group yet ... I've got some prose to be critiqued!? It's a poetic narrative for a work of art (artist's book).
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #24
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the voyeurs -- I think it would be *very preferable* to restrict access to the feature to only those who actively participate in the posting and critiquing. If it includes people beyond that, it's not really a workshop and, as such, a snooty market could consider a story as having been published and decline to buy it.

OTOH, if all folks are interested is having a little audience and getting some feedback, then a more-open arena might work fine. As for me and my house, though, I'm planning on selling my ----, so that'd probably preclude my participation.

Which may not be much of a loss.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #25
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ...

have i mentioned that i was an english graduate student at utah state university?

that i was a fellow and have recently been lost my fellowship and am no longer a graduate student?

i think i can help anyone with any short story they have, and have the time and generally am willing to read and critique anything....

im willing to participate....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier
As for me and my house, though, I'm planning on selling my ----, so that'd probably preclude my participation.

o
Ever heard of copyright laws?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM   #27
outlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Quote:
As for me and my house, though, I'm planning on selling my ----, so that'd probably preclude my participation.

o
Do you know the difference between a copyright and first publication rights?

Ever heard of:

"Every editor for every worthwhile short story market considers publishing a story to any public website 'publication'. Unless you're John Updike, and even he doesn't get free passes most of the time, no editor of any worthwhile short story market will buy anything other than 'first publication rights', wherefore if you put your story up on a website, it's published, therefore editors won't buy it since they won't get first publication rights."

Unless you're trying to get published in your brother's 100-circ LDS kitsch-fic rag, owning the copyright ain't gonna help you if you've already published it to a website.

Don't question someone unless you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
Old 10-28-2005, 12:27 AM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

o
Do you know the difference between a copyright and first publication rights?

Ever heard of:

"Every editor for every worthwhile short story market considers publishing a story to any public website 'publication'. Unless you're John Updike, and even he doesn't get free passes most of the time, no editor of any worthwhile short story market will buy anything other than 'first publication rights', wherefore if you put your story up on a website, it's published, therefore editors won't buy it since they won't get first publication rights."

Unless you're trying to get published in your brother's 100-circ LDS kitsch-fic rag, owning the copyright ain't gonna help you if you've already published it to a website.

Don't question someone unless you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

o
We're not talking about publishing anything. Just exchanging working manuscripts among friends.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 AM   #29
outlier

Quote:
We're not talking about publishing anything. Just exchanging working manuscripts among friends.
Where's that damn "ignore" feature...?

Dude, I don't care what *your* opinion is, what matters are the opinions of editors of paying markets. If you put a story on a website and it's viewable by the public, then editors will consider that work *published* and not be willing to buy it. Therefore, if MW puts up a writers' group area, then it should be an area restricted to participants.

o

PS, Sorry about deleting all the old quotes, we had a cool nested thing going there and I screwed it up.

- W. Churchill
Old 10-28-2005, 02:33 AM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

by the sound of this thread, one might get the mistaken idea that there is actually money to be made by being a writer. LOL.

Outside of JK Rowling that is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote