cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assistant Scout Master

I think I'm going run for assistant scout master at the beginning of the year. My campaigns in high school both had the same slogan..

Hubba Hubba
vote for
Bubba

I'm thinking I should throw up posters at both entrances of the chapel, one at the library, one at the bishops office, the bathrooms and the drinking fountains.. i'm thinking about hanging a banner behind the pulpit for extra visibility. Maybe I can get the deacons to wear Vote 4 Bubba pins as they pass the sacrament..

I don't know who I'd be running against, but I've got a lot of camping gear, I'm an eagle scout, I'm still young enough where the old people in the ward think I'm "cool" enough for the YM to look up to, I really want the job, I think I'd do a good job, it would be full of great learning experiences for me, it can only enhance any tailgating skill I have, etc.

Any ideas on what else I can do?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Just tell the bishop or for that matter just tell anyone, it will get back to the bishop. I'm sure there's not a huge wait list.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to campaign just ask and it shall be given. A glutton for punishment, aren't you?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
bYuPride

Apparently, I don't let my personality show through well enough in my other posts because I though this one I thought was dripping with sarcasm... while I think it would fun to be asst. scout master, hanging posters and banners throughout the church would be... ah nevermind.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Apparently, I don't let my personality show through well enough in my other posts because I though this one I thought was dripping with sarcasm... while I think it would fun to be asst. scout master, hanging posters and banners throughout the church would be... ah nevermind.
I think if you hang signs for Ass. Scout Master, they might make you Ass. Sunday School President or First Ass. in your HPG...once you become and ass it is hard to shake that stereotype. Good luck in your drive to be the Ass. of your dreams.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A guy in my ward on Sunday asked me about our camping when I was putting stuff away in the scout closet. He likes camping.

He's screwed now. His name is on my list.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A guy in my ward on Sunday asked me about our camping when I was putting stuff away in the scout closet. He likes camping.

He's screwed now. His name is on my list.
Is it really that bad? Me and all my buddies had so much fun growing up camping and I know our leaders had a fun time too... I would imagine the preparation is greater and perhaps a bit more stress of having to be responsible for the safety of the kids, etc. To be honest, it just sounds like a lot of fun.. perhaps I just need to go camping a couple more times to get it out of my system.

What am I missing?

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No need to campaign just ask and it shall be given. A glutton for punishment, aren't you?
Arch, what am I missing here? I camp out with a bunch of little dudes. I'm not in charge, I'm just helping out, I like to camp, I like to be in the outdoors, the YM in my ward are cool kids, etc. What are the downsides to being the assistant scout guy?

As far as being a glutton for punishment, I can only guess that you are talking about me riding on my top tube for 70 miles? ha ha! I bought a trainer last week and I'm buying a new seatpost so I won't run into the same problem with the seat wedge popping out. I bought a few DVD's, so hopefully that will help with the motivation..

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Arch, what am I missing here? I camp out with a bunch of little dudes. I'm not in charge, I'm just helping out, I like to camp, I like to be in the outdoors, the YM in my ward are cool kids, etc. What are the downsides to being the assistant scout guy?
Attending a bunch more meetings??
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Attending a bunch more meetings??
I know there would be stuff one night a week for YM, but that doesn't bother me... I don't think the ASM has any Sunday obligations, maybe to help out with a lesson here or there. Other than that?

Maybe I really need to just go camping with my buddies again.. ha ha!

"I'm on my beater bike"