cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
Is that TIC?

What would be the point of proselyting? The outcome for a fatalist would already be determined and no amount of work could change it.
Nope. Not TIC. I guess I'm not as smart as you.

Given that there are all sorts and degrees of fatalism, and given that the only one that has called what Archaea said 'fatalism' is you (at least I don't recall that he ever said that), and given that you were the only one that has so far said his approach has no point whatsoever, I thought there might be something more I was missing besides your feeling that it is a self-evident truth. Sorry.

If one is a fatalist, why not let other people know they are wasting their time?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For someone so fatalistic, why do you continue to talk about politics? You apparently have come to the conclusion that nothing can be done to improve the nation or politics. If so, why does your personal philosophy require that you persuade the rest of us that you are correct? Your attempts at persuasion seem to run counter to your fatalism.

I won't even start with your Hillary nonsense.
Unless you know Hillary personally or better than my Arkansas contacts, it's not nonsense. You may naively buy into her crapola, but so be it; you're young and inexperienced.

Unless, you've financed, run and particpated in campaigns from grass roots to upper management, then you won't understand my frustration.

Most people involved in politics start out naively, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, moving from that to the outrage of the newly informed, to the hardened pragmatists who try to get done what can be done until you reach burnout.

These people are scum. They develop this style of never answering a question, never showing true emotion and basically ridding themselves of their own humanity all the while feeding their own egomaniacal tendencies.

There are large movements that change society in a Hegelian sense, but individuals don't make a difference in the macrosense. In your local community, you make a difference, but in the large picture, you're an ant trying to stop a glacier. You can either move aside or move to the top of the berg to ride along, but stopping it won't happen through your actions, despite all the mindless philosophies to the contrary. One affects the micro, not the macro; it's in the math.

Christ was the only exception, and most his accomplishments affected the macro decades later.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is that TIC?

What would be the point of proselyting? The outcome for a fatalist would already be determined and no amount of work could change it.
Then if a fatalist was correct, he/she could save us all from wasting a bunch of time.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Nope. Not TIC. I guess I'm not as smart as you.

Given that there are all sorts and degrees of fatalism, and given that the only one that has called what Archaea said 'fatalism' is you (at least I don't recall that he ever said that), and given that you were the only one that has so far said his approach has no point whatsoever, I thought there might be something more I was missing besides your feeling that it is a self-evident truth. Sorry.

If one is a fatalist, why not let other people know they are wasting their time?
I was responding to this quote from Archaea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Build your wealth, serve your Church and find an island, cuz there IS nothing you can do. Good people get squashed and the only ones who gain power at the NATIONAL level are power grubbing, dishonest POS.
If that isn't fatalistic, I don't know what is. If there is truly "nothing you can do" other than "find an island" what is the point of complaining about things or arguing with others to see your point?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Then if a fatalist was correct, he/she could save us all from wasting a bunch of time.
lol! I suppose you have a point there...
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Fatalism is not what I mean. Forces beyond our control, by our I mean the average middle class citizenry. If one belongs to a part of the ruling oligarchy, one affects change only by following the oligarchy.

Mexico is a stark example of this syndrome, and the US is simply far more sophisticated but we work upon the same principles. It's the fools who believe the average bloke has a say who are fooling themselves.

Things are predetermined as the fatalist says. They are beyond the average man's control. That's different as nothing is determined, just beyond control.