cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Triathalon...

For those that have done a triathalon...how difficult is it? Now, I am not looking to post an incredible time, I just simply do not want to kill myself. It is the sprint triathalon--12 miles on bike, 3 mile run and .5 mile swim.

I will be able to handle the run well, but I can't remember the last time that I measured a swim. I go swimming regularly and I do laps, but I have never measured a .5 mile swim. The bike ride should be OK (as long as the hills are not brutal) but I guess adding these all together will be the killer.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
For those that have done a triathalon...how difficult is it? Now, I am not looking to post an incredible time, I just simply do not want to kill myself. It is the sprint triathalon--12 miles on bike, 3 mile run and .5 mile swim.

I will be able to handle the run well, but I can't remember the last time that I measured a swim. I go swimming regularly and I do laps, but I have never measured a .5 mile swim. The bike ride should be OK (as long as the hills are not brutal) but I guess adding these all together will be the killer.
I have never done anything as short as a sprint, not because I consider them easy, but because they require speed the likes of which I do not have.

If you're competing for fun with no time expectations you'll be fine.

The swim is about 35 laps of a short course pool. Sprints require you to sprint hard, which makes it difficult if you are trying to compete. If you're trying to finish, then you should have a good time.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

As crazy as it sounds, the part that I am most nervous about is the swim. I can just see me get in there with 400 other flapping people smacking me around as they try and get room to swim.

Thanks for the info Archaea, I have changed the name of the triathalon to 'Take it easy' instead of the more intimidating word 'Sprint.' We'll see if I do it and if I do, we'll see how it goes.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As crazy as it sounds, the part that I am most nervous about is the swim. I can just see me get in there with 400 other flapping people smacking me around as they try and get room to swim.

Thanks for the info Archaea, I have changed the name of the triathalon to 'Take it easy' instead of the more intimidating word 'Sprint.' We'll see if I do it and if I do, we'll see how it goes.
If you're not accustomed to open water swimming, stay in the back, because the first tri swim is a bit scary. Don't be bothered if you swim over somebody and lifting your head to see your line is essential. Find a line on the horizon and every three to four strokes, lightly lift your head to keep on your line around the buoys.

I'm afraid of sprints, because to do it right, you're in total, complete meltdown pain. There is no fun time at all. My wife loves them because she's not killing herself.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Pay no heed to the Archaean. Sprints are great fun. I do them, and I'm the least athletic person you've ever met.

Sprint swim is usually 500-1000 meters. That's 10-20 laps. If it's open water, then stay toward the back.

The swim doesn't bother me but a LOT of people panic on their first tri swim. Just practice swim as much as you can heading into your first one, and you'll be fine. If you panic, don't worry, you won't be the only one. You can always roll onto your back to catch your breath and relax.

Try to do a few practice runs straight off the bike to get a sense of how weird your legs will feel.

If you have any questions just ask. Good luck!!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck UteStar, I'm sure it will be great. I'll be interested to hear what you think, since I've been flirting with the idea of doing a tri. My biggest concern is also the swim.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote