cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed.

Taxes affect me daily, abortion does not. Cost of living affects me. Income affects me. Weather affects me.

Abortion bears almost no relation thereto. Except my wife, an adopted child, was not aborted. I'm thankful for that. So maybe it does affect me, but it wasn't legal back when her parents conceived her.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #32
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Fusnik, I also don't see how you can define the churches stance on abortion as being pro-choice.
easy the church isnt completely against abortion. pro-lifers, and real pro-lifers see no excuse or reason to ever have an abortion. the lds church sees a few reasons why an abortion can be ok....

thats why i say the churches stance is pro-choice.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #33
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I would contend that the church is niether pro-life or pro-choice ... rather the chruch prefers to focus on the more important question of responsible sexual behavior.

The church is pro-responsible behavior :wink:
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #34
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I don't understand the preoccupation with abortion rights. I can't think of any issue that affects me less on a day to day basis. It doesn't affect my quality of life. It doesn't affect my peronal security. It doesn't affect national security. It's an issue that I just don't care about. If abortion is indeed a sin, then those having abortions will be judged in the next life. Until then, let's concentrate on the issues that really matter.
I agree that abortion does not directly affect me on a daily basis, but so do many other issues.

I suppose my point is, if you are morally opposed to an issue, such as abortion, do you have a responsibility to politically support those that profess to share your belief?

I am also not affected in the least bit by same-sex marriage. It doesn't affect me in my family life, recreational activities or work environment. Yet, several years ago when I was living in Nebraska and an opportunity arose to create a ballot measure to define marriage, there was a lot of emphasis by local and general church leaders to support the measure. I didn't enjoy going door-to-door trying to get people to sign the petition, in fact I hated it - my 2 years were up well before then. But I felt some moral and civic responsibility to do so.

Whether or not you agree with the churches stance on certain issues shouldn't matter. If its an issue of morals which could have a possible negative influence on society, shouldn't you at least attempt to take some steps to encourage positive change?

MHO, of course.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #35
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
I am also not affected in the least bit by same-sex marriage. It doesn't affect me in my family life, recreational activities or work environment. Yet, several years ago when I was living in Nebraska and an opportunity arose to create a ballot measure to define marriage, there was a lot of emphasis by local and general church leaders to support the measure. I didn't enjoy going door-to-door trying to get people to sign the petition, in fact I hated it - my 2 years were up well before then. But I felt some moral and civic responsibility to do so.
Same-sex marriage is much different than abortion rights, because it affects the ways in which legal rights are bestowed on different individuals. From a morality point of view, I have no problem with same-sex marriage (when I say I have no problem with it, I am not condoning homosexual sex. I am only saying that gay people have the right to choose how they express themselves sexually). In fact, from a moral point of view it's a lot better for gay people to engage in committed relationships than it is for them to be out cruising bath houses. To me, same-sex marriage is purely a political issue.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #36
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, SoCal, they're Brazil nuts.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote