cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move from hell

1. You are not told about the move until the night before.
2. The person needing the moving help doesn't even contact the EQ presidency directly. Intervening surrogates are used.
3. The person moving doesn't actually even live in your ward. It's just that since they moved from your ward, the only ward they have attended (when they have attended) is your ward.
4. This would be the 3rd move request of the EQ in a year for this family.
5. Their last move had the EQ putting all their stuff by the curb, because the truck had not arrived yet, only to be told they couldn't successfully rent a truck, and they needed everything placed back in the apartment.
6. They have pets galore. You can smell them as you step through the door. Cats, dogs, rodents.
7. The moving assistance involves both loading up at the old place, and unloading at the new place.
8. THEIR NEW PLACE ISN'T IN YOUR WARD EITHER! But since they don't intend to attend the ward in their location, they ought not call the EQ in that ward. After all they really like your bishop.
9. You go to piss in their toilet after 4 hours of packing, lift the toilet seat, only to see a pile of s*** covered with flies and maggots. Yes, the water has been turned off, and you can bet the farm that this is an eviction.
10. The teenage kids do not assist in anyway, and actually get in your way, giggling and carrying on.
11. You are heartened when you arrive and there are a few people there already. You are disheartened when two of them leave after 15 minutes, because of prior obligations, because of course the truck has arrived more than 1 hour after they said it would.
12. You know it's a bad move, when you have become so familiar with their stuff, that you actually recognize and know most of the furniture.

Sometimes, I can't believe how nice I am. I may not have rainbows and warm fuzzies in my heart, but I show up. Way more often that I should.

The other side of the coin is a single mom who is poor and has poor ways. She actually doesn't have a lot of resources, and doesn't have the sense to understand that she can burn through a lot of good will by not following the basic rules of common decency and courtesy. But at least she had most things in boxes, and went to the effort to provide food and drink.

She's not a terrible person, I don't think. But I am fairly certain I will never, ever move her stuff again!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

yikes. Been there done that unfortunately. I am against the EQ moving policy for that reason.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

That is a tough one. Our EQ has. Written policy on moves due to our location and ward boundaries we have lots of moves. If you ask for the EQ to help with your move you get a copy of e policy. Sme of the stuff in the policy:
- things must be packed in boxes
- no pianos or other extraordinary heavy objects
- EQ will not help you move if you are getting reimbursed or paid b your company to move. Yes we have had that a couple of times.

Granted this is a policy and to every policy there is an exception. It sounds like this is a particularly needy person and that makes it even tougher. You are a good man Mike. Always have been. Does me good to keep up with you and see that you are still fighting the fight.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I was much less compassionate after a few of those moves. Needy, thoughtless persons make it tough to solicit other volunteers for other times.